20: Frozen

6:15 a.m.

Jake's POV:

I woke up when I heard my phone buzz. I checked the time and I still had 30 minutes until I needed to get up. But the notification that made my phone go off was a text from Erika.

It said:

"Jake! I need a ride to school early, and my parents are already at work, I can't miss this thing before school! Can you pleaseeee give me a ride? 🙏"

I replied:

"What time do you have to leave?"

"6:30. Pleaseeee jake I can't miss this."

"Ok. be there in 10. You owe me."

"Thank you!! Love ya"

Then I got up and groggily went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and fix my hair. I wore some comfy black joggers and a fake Gucci shirt that my mom gave me. Then I got a granola bar and the keys and--- oh crap. If I take my dad's car without telling him I'll be grounded. But he's still sleeping and he's always telling me about how important it is to get enough sleep and not be on electronics when it's "sleepy time." His words, not mine. He doesn't even keep his phone in his room when he's sleeping. He puts it in the kitchen downstairs charging. Anyways, I texted his phone that I had to take Erika to school early, and that I'll explain later. I hope it'll be fine if I take his car.

I drove up to Erika's house and she was waiting outside in the cold on her porch. It was lightly snowing, but it want accumulating. She was all huddled up in an oversized hoodie, not even a coat on. But not that many people wear coats to school anymore.

"Hey," she said hopping in, "thanks for taking me.

"You're welcome, so how come you have to go to school early today?"

"So, like a week or so ago Mr. McAllister gave me a morning detention, and I didn't even do anything bad! He got tired of me twirling my hair and said it was a 'classroom distraction.' Like, who even does that? I got really mad, but I couldn't do anything. After that I put the date of the detention in my calendar on my phone but I completely forgot about it until this morning when the reminder went off."

"That's so stupi-- I mean that's so stu, I hate when teachers pull that crap on us."

"I know right? That's the first detention I've ever gotten, and for such a stupid reason. And are you seriously still trying to make stu a thing?"

"You bet. Soon we shall all be people who use the word stu in our everyday vocabulary! Let that be, or my name's not Jake Paul!" I proclaimed.

"Oh gosh," Erika laughed.

Shortly after, I pulled up to the school.

"Well, have fun in detention," I said patting Erika's knee.

"Aren't you coming in?"

"Well, I was planning to go back home and eat breakfast and stuff, why?"

"I thought you might want to spend detention with me,"

I laughed, "I can't get in without a detention slip,"

"Oh, well, then, bye!" Erika said, getting out.

"Wait,"

"What?"

I held my arms out motioning for a hug. She went back in the car and gave me a hug and a kiss.

"Bye Rik," I said smiling.

"Bye Jake!"

I pulled around the school and parked in another lot on the South side of the school. I got out and walked along the building, ducking when I passed a window. I approached the library, where a.m detention is usually held and I peeked in the window from outside.

The only person there was Erika, and a little freshman, and a teacher, Mr. McAllister. But he wasn't facing the window, only Erika and the other kid were. I stood up and waved my arms around. I saw Erika glance up, then back to her desk, then back up at me. She smiled. I tried to sign what I wanted to say, which was, "I'm with you," so I pointed at myself, then at both us us, then at her. She understood, she nodded at me with a big smile.

I checked the time and it was 6:50. Only 25 more minutes of detention. I was kneeling now and Erika was looking at me. We were trying to communicate with whatever hand signals and motions we could think of, but we just "talked" about school mainly, from what I understood.

Erika and I were still enjoying the time together but she was staring down, coloring her nails with a highlighter. I was sitting now, with only my forehead in the window, going through Twitter.

7:15 a.m.

Erika's POV:

Finally I got out of detention. It was so sweet of Jake to wait outside with me. I left the library and went around the school to find him.

"Jake?" I said walking around to find him.
"Jake?"
"Jake? Where are you?" I went by a few more windows.
"Oh there you are! Jake!" I rubbed his shoulders once I got up to him. He fell over.
"Ah! Jake!" I knelt down and shook him. He was asleep.
"How'd you fall asleep out here?" I picked up his phone which was open to Twitter.
"Jake, c'mon wake up," shaking him. He didn't budge.
"Dude you're scaring me." I felt his pulse, and it was really slow. He was unconscious. The snow started falling harder and harder and the flakes were huge.
"Jake! C'mon c'mon c'mon, Jake!" I started pressing on his chest and giving him CPR. His face was turning pale and blue from the cold. His fingers were white.
"Jake!" I said, starting to cry. I kept giving him CPR, but it didn't work. Then I saw that freshman kid from detention, whose name I learned was Justin.

"Justin! You gotta help me!"
He ran over to us.
"Oh my gosh, is he ok?"
"No! He's unconscious. Keep pressing on his chest and I'll give him CPR. He won't wake up!"
"Should we call someone?" He said.
"I don't know, let's keep doing this and if he doesn't wake up then we will."

After about 10 minutes, Jake finally woke up, his fingers now blue.

"Jake! Are you ok?"
"Hmmm, I'm so cold."
"Justin, can you help me walk him to his truck? We'll put him in the back with the heaters going and blankets."
"Of course."

We put Jake in the back row of his dad's truck and he started to get warm and wake up. I took my gloves out of my backpack and put them on Jake. Then I put my hat on him and his hood.

"How are you feeling?" I asked him.
"I'm so cold, but I'm starting to feel better."
"Good, do you want to call your mom?"
"Yeah, I'll call her."
"Oh here's your phone," I handed it to him.
"Thanks, did it get snowy?"
"I don't think too much."
"Oh good, it still works," he said.

Jake called his mom and she immediately hopped in her car to come make sure he was okay. Today sure has been a rollercoaster. And it's only 7:30.

{9,000 reads?! Still, everytime I see this number get bigger I'm shocked. You guys are so amazing, thank you for always coming back to read more. I hope you really enjoy my fanfic! Us Jake Paulers and Costellars are too strong!}