Surprises (Minifreezy)

Pairing: Miniminter & Calfreezy (Simon and Cal)
Prompt: Simon doesn't think Cal is going to make it home for Christmas
Warnings: None
XIX
Child's laughter fills my ears as I run around with my five year old daughter clinging onto my back, squeals of excitement leaving her every time I spin around.

"Higher!" She screeches when I toss her in the air as she smiles brightly from ear to ear.

We both laugh when I set her down after a while, seeing her fall into the snow from dizziness.

She makes a snow angel and giggles when a snowflake falls on her nose.

I take her inside the house after a few minutes to get hot chocolate, both of us taking off the multiple layers we were wearing to play in the snow.

"Do you want marshmallows?" I ask and she nods, her pigtails shaking with the motion of her head.

"How many?" I lean forward and rest my chin on my hand, I always enjoy when she counts, the look on her face when the realisation hits her is adorable.

"Uhhh," She mumbles and looks at her fingers, eventually holding up three of them. "This many!"

I giggle and nod, grabbing two mugs and filling them with the hot chocolate that was already heating up in the coffee pot.

She skips over to one of the chairs at the table, climbing up on one of them and waiting patiently for me to bring her the hot chocolate.

"Laila!" I yell upstairs to my other daughter, she's fourteen so she doesn't like to play outside as much, but at least she still talks to me and Cal.

"Yeah?" She yells back after a second, her feet making big booms as she runs down the stairs, stopping at the bottom and facing me.

She definitely got my height and lankiness, plus Cal's big feet and big blue eyes, hence why it sounds like a tiny earthquake when she runs down the stairs.

"Do you want some hot chocolate?" I ask as I set down April's mug, making sure it wasn't too hot before helping her take a sip.

"No, but-" She pauses and starts fiddling with her fingers, she always gets like that when she's anxious about something.

"What?" I say and take a sip of my drink, sitting down next to April and motioning for Laila to come sit with us.

"Okay," She sighs out, sitting down and taking my mug from me. "Well it's Christmas Eve."

"Yeah." I say, taking my mug back after she had stolen a marshmallow and eating one myself.

"When's dad coming home?" She says quietly, avoiding eye contact with me and tapping her fingers on the table.

"I don't know." I sigh out, April setting her mug on the table and frowning.

"But it's Christmas Eve." Laila states, a tear running down her cheek before she wipes it away quickly.

"I know-" "He should be home!" She says, standing up abruptly from the table and running upstairs.

I sigh and rub my temples, Cal had gone on a business trip a few days ago and promised to be back for Christmas- I guess he can't keep every promise he makes.

"Daddy's not gonna be home for Christmas?" My heart brakes at the sadness in April's voice, looking over at her to see tears forming in her eyes.

"Hey, hey it'll be okay." I say and pull her onto my lap, her small arms immediately wrapping around me in a hug.