十六

↳ ❝WISH ME LUCK, sexy.❞

it was in that instance, when the electrifying warmth of her naked shoulder cruelly seeped through the sleeve of his cashmere blazer, that he felt his heart begin to malfunction. he'd been lifelessly staring at the ongoing event from a room inside the school gymnasium, scrutinizing the variegated balloons and hand-made posters that embellished the place, when jay joined his side.

with the blue halter dress gracefully drifting down to her thighs, its solitary strap tightly embracing the nape of her neck, with her brown strands of hair loosely brushing against her arms, and with the golden crown authoritatively adorning her head, jay parker did not look like herself. and he knew—quite well, actually—that if he even as to peeked at her, he would not be able to hold himself back.

"miss parker," he whispered with a gulp, continuing to look straight ahead as he unsteadily respired her perfumed scent.

it truly sucked.

she was his girlfriend, for goodness' sake—the only person he considered vital to his existence. and yet, the distance between them was so wickedly clear.

of course, he knew that it was all his fault, that her relentless anger was all due to the fight he had unintentionally caused.

he needed to feel pain—the pain of her own cold shoulder, the pain that he so stupidly brought upon himself. all he could really do was endure his self-induced punishment ... because that's what he deserved.

"you– how are you?" he asked in concern, the soles of his shoes still glued to their same spot.

jay was taken aback by his question.

why?

why did he care so much? it makes it so much harder to stay upset, she bit her lip and closed her eyes, finding herself unconsciously loosening up to him. don't, her conscience scolded her for being so feeble. he hasn't even apologized.

"mmm, i'm well, mr. park," she breathed out, still trying her best to dissimulate her weakening heart. it amazed her how, despite feeling softened by their physical proximity, she was able to dissemble her joy with a careless attitude. she was a skilled actress, after all. "how are you?"

"are you seriously asking me that?" he chuckled bitterly, lowering his voice so that the other people in the room wouldn't catch his words. "you already know the answer, miss parker."

jay, not knowing how to appropriately respond to that, remained quiet.

she did not budge from his side, though, and the couple remained watching the progression of the homecoming assembly in a somewhat comfortable silence.

the other candidates casually chatted away with each other, and their accompanying teachers conversed amongst themselves, as well, as they all waited for their presentation time to arrive.

the only person missing now was mr. kim. but he'd arrive soon enough, jay assured herself.

jay and mr. park watched on as the bright lights skimmed over the gym's dark walls, over the thousands of seated students, and over the two elated speakers directing the seasonal pep rally.

"and now," the female presenter squealed as the gym lights all turned back on and the booming music faded. "it is time," she looked over at her partner, and he nodded at her with a wide grin. as if on cue, the two seniors walked off the stage to clear up the space for the awaited candidates. "are you all ready for homecoming?!"