十七

two updates in one weekend???? i'm so quiK. okay, issa long chapter omg !! i'm sorry, i tried to find a way to shorten it but i ended up making it longer lmaoo 🤧

~

↳ ❝WHY ARE YOU HERE, sexy?❞

the last person she expected to encounter on this dull, december evening was her unsmiling (yet still exasperatingly handsome) boyfriend. he was seated behind the sign-in table at the main lobby, marking off the names of the students who successfully verified their identity.

it was odd. the homecoming dance was the most attended event of the school year. so why did he decide to make an appearance in it? she'd heard, from her friends, of course, that mr. park was not in the least bit interested in social occasions—especially not in silly high school parties such as this one. she squinted her eyes down at him in evident suspicion, though part of her did feel relieved about having him there with her.

"miss parker," he didn't look up from the pile of papers, already knowing to whom that curative voice belonged. after crossing off one more name from the homecoming guest list, he upraised his head and met her glistening eyes. "what do you mean?"

mr. park cautiously peeked around her, making sure that the principal was not anywhere near them. he sighed in relief when he noticed his boss conversing with the hotel manager a good twenty feet away.

"you don't like these kinds of things," jay pointed at the room behind him in where the loud dance was taking place. "so, why are you here?"

her question was meant to have a sharp and resentful tone to it, but because she was so stupefied by the man's beauty and entrancing attire (the golden streaks of design that ran through the blazer perfectly highlighting his blonde strands of hair), she faltered.

"i was told to help present the winning crowns," mr. park shrugged, closing the cap of his pink highlighter and resting his chin on his hands as he continued to innocently stare up at her. "i couldn't just refuse."

"that's what you did to me," she grumbled under her breath, and though mr. park did not actually hear her, he assumed that's what she had said.

he awkwardly shifted in his chair, cleared his parched throat, scratched his head, and pursed his lips into a flat line.

mr. park had missed her (so much that even her snarky commentary was a blessing to his ears).

of course he didn't just come to hand over the foolishly insignificant crowns. that was the least of his concerns. he came to see her. it was fairly obvious that that was his one and only intention, but jay was too caught up in her own mind's oblivion to read between the lines of his excuse.

"did you bring a date?" his mien was tender, genuinely curious, and jay couldn't help but notice a small speck of hope swimming in the gloss of his eyes.

their visual contact only lasted for a second before jay felt another student walk up behind her to have their name marked off, too.

"if i win, my date will be whoever the homecoming king is. if i lose, i'll just go home. i hate parties," jay answered sincerely and pointed at the opened binder underneath mr. park's elbows.

for a moment, a flash of disturbance flashed through her boyfriend's weary eyes, but the expression was erased from his face as quickly as it had been displayed.