二十九

↳ ❝YOU READY, sexy?❞

though the question had been clearly made to him, jay seemed to have asked it more for herself. the car ride from school had been oddly silent this time, as the two young lovers were too stuck in their own realm of thought to bother starting up a conversation.

they were now standing out on her porch, his black cadillac parked out on the driveway, tightly holding hands as they stared at her closed front door. they refused to walk any further; their current distance from the doorframe was already safe and nerve-wracking enough.

"miss parker," he clenched his jaw and squeezed the tiny fingers that tightly interlaced his own. he blinked a couple times, feeling quite unprepared to carry out their plan, and angled his head down to look at her better. "i'm anything but ready."

jay dreaded hearing that answer.

she knew it would've helped ease her anxiety if her boyfriend—who would be undergoing the fraught of their confession, too—felt calm and collected.

but he didn't.

mr. park felt just the opposite of calm, and being aware of that only stressed her out even more.

her mind naturally began to project awfully graphic hallucinations about the outcome of this dinner—visualizing the scornful shouts that her father might slap her with, feeling helpless against her potential disownment, envisioning park jimin, her only love and desire in this hopeless world, being unfairly cast away from her.

she shuddered as the antagonistic images cruelly played out inside her head, and she wasted no time in pulling the blonde into a soulful and tight embrace. the blinding tears in her eyes evidenced her fear.

she stood on her tippy-toes, arms suffocatingly wrapped around his neck and uneven gasps alarming his sensitive eardrums.

"jay, baby, you're okay. it will all be okay," he murmured slowly as he hugged her back.

not even he managed to believe himself, though.

his words were hollow, with no real assurance, because, in reality, he didn't know how successful or unsuccessful this evening would be.

he wanted to think that everything would turn out fine and that her father would consent to their relationship despite it being illegal. but mr. park wasn't at all certain about the man's approval. it was too good of an aspiration.

jay rested the side of her head on his chest, closing her eyes and relishing the warmth of their collided bodies. she breathed him in, satisfaction overfilling her cells at his sweetened fragrance, and rejoiced in the rhythm of his rapidly thumping heart. somehow, his adrenalized heartbeats comforted her, as though the booming echo was the missing source of energy that she'd been searching everywhere for.

clinging on to him, being held by him, lightly swaying with him ... it all made sense. they suited one another in such an undeniable (and indescribable) manner. anyone who saw them would agree that their bodies just naturally corresponded to each other. a perfect fit, it seemed like. one that could surely convince an unbeliever—one of those bitter souls who heavily opposed the idea of love—to believe again.

jay wasn't sure what would happen.

it'd be ideal for her father to accept the relationship and continue viewing jimin like the kind and respectable man that he was. but she knew that that was too good of a dream. it was more likely that he'd forbid her from seeing him again and intervene in some way to get her a new english teacher.