chapter three

ayla's pov |

Carter and I looked at each other then nodded to our parents.

Once they dismissed us, we went straight to our rooms before dinner. As we were walking upstairs, I overheard my parents talking. "I swear to God, if any of those little animals come anywhere near my Ayla, ugh! I don't know what I'll do," I listened as my dad spoke. I slowly felt my eyes start to water. Then I felt a hand grab mine.

"Ayla, it's gon be okay," Carter softly said as he held my hand and walked me to my room. He then embraced me in a bear hug. Which got me emotional. Causing me to snot a little on his little shoulder. He made a disgusted face and shrugged his shoulders calmly stating, "Eh. I've had worse. You have no idea what kind of boys that I'm stuck with," as he made his eyes wide.

-

That night, my parents had a banking meeting. So Carter and I ordered a pizza. I almost invited Daniel, but thought it was far too risky. They weren't gonna be home till late at night. So I went ahead and tucked Carter into bed.

"You and Daniel are boyfriend and girlfriend, right?" Carter suddenly asked me as he yawned, his light green eyes he'd gotten from my mom, filling with drowsiness. I ruffled my fingers through his short, black hair, "It's something like that," I chuckled. "I just know that we make each other very happy," I explained to him. He smiled, "You and Daniel make me happy. And Isla Rose, even though she's bigger than me," he told me as I chuckled and gave him a kiss on his forehead and whispered 'goodnight' as I left his room.

I walked over to my room and blow dried my hair a little since I had taken a shower beforehand. Then fell asleep. Thinking of how this Daniel thing was gonna work.

And how my parents wouldn't find out.

-

I rolled out of bed, feeling much more energized than I usually do. I walked over to my bathroom and brushed my teeth and fixed my hair. I decided to leave it down once again. It was more curly this morning but I left it. Changing into a pair of jeans, Nikes and a jacket with a t-shirt under it. Then I walked downstairs. Finding Carter up and at it already once again. I made our breakfast and we sat at the table, "Carter, if I'm a little late to pick you up at school today, tell your teacher I'm doing my best," I said with a chuckle. He ate the last bite of his eggos and took out a note from his tiny pocket. "Momma left it on the fridge," he said handing it to me.

Ayla, I will be picking Carter up from school. I want you home at 4:00 sharp. No later than that. It's important.
- Mom

I scrunched my eyebrows together as I read the note, "Alright then," I huffed out. I looked down at Carter, his eyes dreary. I sighed, crumbling the note up and throwing it into the trash, "Let's go, Carter." We then made our way to the car. I made sure Carter was secure in his seat, "Ya ready," he nodded.

-

Once that was done, I headed to the high school. I sent Daniel a quick text telling him to meet me in the sound booth. I made my way through the crowd of people blocking the entry and avoided any type of Daniel-Related questions. Because when it comes to Daniel Questions, I literally have the bravery of a chicken nugget. I opened the door, immediately seeing Jonah, Jack, Corbyn, Daniel, and Zach all doing an a-cappella. They were singing one of their Mashups just as I walked in, clapping for them.

"You studs, y'all are like freakin musical prodigies or something," I exclaimed scanning over the boys. Daniel was holding a guitar, Jonah was sitting at the drums, Jack and Corbyn were holding freaking maracas and Zach was playing the tambourine.