chapter twenty six

ayla's pov | graduation day

"I can't wait to escape today without any sort of drama between Jonah and Daniel." I was getting my curls done by Christina while Maya did her makeup. "Hey, at least you got 2 super cute boys swooning over you," Maya threw, completely forgetting that I only loved one of them as my boyfriend.

"Whatever. I just hope-"

Suddenly there was a soft knocking on the door. Jonah's head popped in. "Speak of the devil," Maya mumbled under her breath. Chuckling nervously, Jonah politely excused me saying, "Can I talk to Ayla for a second?" I glanced at Christina and she just shrugged her shoulders, so I followed him outside my room. "Hey, can you be quick? We have a lot of things to get done. You have 5 minutes." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and waited for him to speak.

"Listen. I just wanted to know that I am so, so, so truly sorry for everything I did in the past. You and Daniel belong together and I shouldn't have tried getting in the way of that. I'm sorry for being a dick most of the time and I just really hope you can forgive me."

I stood there not knowing what to say, until, "No hard feelings, Jonah. We're good," stumbled out. Jonah smiled and happily nodded. Quickly adding, "But that doesn't change the fact that I'm still madly in love with you." Then walked off. I sighed. Going back into my room. "Well?" Christina poked, preparing another curl. "He apologized. I forgave him. That's about it." Then I dropped the conversation. Maya put on Why Don't We music, including their exclusive song, 'Trust Fund Baby' that hasn't been released yet. (😉) When out of nowhere, Carter burst through the door, "Daddy is calling you."

I quickly turned down the music and listened for my dad. "Ayla! Campbell is downstairs asking for you!" My heart instantly dropped. I didn't even feel the heat of the iron when Christina accidentally burned me. "Ayla, do you need us?" I shook my head and silently shuffled downstairs, wearing shorts and one of my dads plaid shirts. My head was now full of voluminous curls that bounced each time I hit a step.

Finally, I was facing him. The boy who had harassed me.

"What do you want." I shot at him, staying close behind the door that I refused to open anymore than a crack. He sneered, "That's not very polite." Chuckling to himself, I rolled my eyes at him as he continued to speak, "I just came to wish you luck today. You'll need it." Clicking his tongue, he jumped at me, giving me no time to react as he grabbed my butt and held me close to him. I could feel his cold breath on my neck as he began kissing it, "You tell anyone, this won't end and I'll get someone to do it to that little brother of yours." I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins, before I heard him.

"Hey! Man! What the hell are you doing? Get off of her!" Jonah was shouting at Campbell who wouldn't let go of me. Jonah began to come faster, raising his fists, "Campbell, get the fuck away from her." Yet Cam stood his ground. Angry, I managed to knee him in the balls and break from his grip. He groaned and protected his area. I backed away. Slamming the door on him. I didn't think to check on Jonah.

Locking the door, I was breathing hard and pulled myself together before I got back to the girls.

"What the fuck was that." Maya snarled coming back from the window. Tears were burning my eyes, "Please. Don't say anything."

"Are we gonna ignore the fact that Jonah saved your ass?" Christina spoke, looking out the window, I adverted my eyes to see Jonah beating Campbell up outside on my front yard. "He knows what he's doing," I sighed, sitting back down to let Christina finish her job.

-

I began walking towards the rows of chairs on our football field. Seeing my dad and Carter sitting in the bleachers before us. The soft ruffle of my purple graduation gown running past my fingers. I looked behind me, pushing my soft curls in front of my shoulder. I looked at Daniel, who was in line right behind me. He sent me a smirk as I sat down, flattening my light dress. "Ready to give that speech, Miss Valedictorian?" I heard Daniels low voice whistle into my ear. I turned and gave him a soft kiss. Nodding, "Ready than I'll ever be," I spoke waiting anxiously for the moment.