epilogue

third person

Jonah's words hurt Daniel. Every time. He ran upstairs, to hide how he was really feeling. He was sad. But he was also very angry at Ayla. She didn't have to run away. She didn't. She could have stayed here and they could've worked everything out. Ayla instead, ran away. Like a little kid afraid of a made up monster. But Ayla was her own monster, she couldn't run from herself for long, he thought.

Daniel held back his tears, beginning to rummage through all the belongings he had of them together. He tried fighting back his tears very hard. But soon broke down. "Why'd you have to leave again." He softly sobbed so that no one could hear him. "Why do you leave when stuff gets hard, Ayla." He grabbed a polaroid of them together, admiring her beautiful features and hating them because they were so gorgeous. "Why?" He scoffed, crying after setting it back down. Daniel dropped onto his bed crying hysterically into his pillow. Feeling like his world was tearing him apart. He felt hollow and as if nothing would ever be the same. When the tears stopped flowing, he stared at his ceiling, thinking of how his life was going downhill. How this was his life now. A life without Ayla. How everything is different now and people were getting through it easier than he was. "Why should I be the only one that's truly suffering?" He thought to himself, before heading over to already cracked mirror.

Seeing himself, he looked to see that he was beginning to grow a stubly mustache and beard. He opened the mirror's cabinet. His eyes hovered over to his razor. Daniel hasn't shaved since Carter's funeral. He then heard a knock and a small mumble. He gave it a quick glare and slammed the door shut. Watching a chunk of the mirror fall. Leaving a large shattered piece of glass to fall onto the ground. His eyes never once leaving the glass as he went to pick it up.

Jonah felt awful. Not just about Ayla. About Daniel too. Everyone could clearly see that he just wasn't himself anymore. Because this really took a turn on him.

He went and knocked on Daniels bathroom door, hoping to make things right.

Two knocks. "Daniel? Are you in there?" He called. Suddenly hearing glass shatter. He grew anxious. "Daniel? Hey, Daniel, let me in," Jonah heard silence. Then a soft groan, followed by a light cry, he began panicking, wondering if something had happened. "Daniel? Hey. Open the door!" He banged the door with more power, "Daniel! Come on, open up," He brought his fist back and went to swing. One helpless cry after the other, "Ah," his fist burned as tears swelled his eyes. "Daniel? Are you okay? " He shouted louder and louder. Hitting the door repeatedly up until he made a hole. He peered his head into the room.

Jonah saw Daniel lying on the ground, quietly sobbing to himself. In a cradle on the ground. Reaching through the hole, he unlocked the door, "Daniel!" He screamed, falling on the ground to lend his buddy a hand. Looking for any possible way to help him. "Jonah, I made a mistake," He sobbed, Jonah was confused. Looking around, he saw nothing. "Ah. It hurts!" Daniel cried, puddles of tears forming on the ground.

Not knowing how to respond, all Jonah could say was, "I know, Daniel . I know it does." Rubbing his back as he weeped to himself. He began to help him up, when Daniel lifted his head, eyes dropping and his skin becoming pale. "No, Jonah. I mean-" Daniel pulled out his arm that he'd been keeping to close to him. Blood was staining his shirt, along with the floor. Jonah's eyes followed the trail until it led to a glass piece forcefully lodged into Daniel's forearm. Jonah's eyes widened. He panicked. Not knowing what to do. Going with his instincts, he took the glass, he pulled it right out with all his might. "Ah!" Daniel screamed with a hard cry, shortly passing out after. The blood getting everywhere. Jonah grabbed his phone, dialing 911 immediately.

"Hello?! I have an 18-year-old boy who I- I think he's bleeding to death. He got a large piece of glass in his arm. I took it out." He gave the address and stayed on the line. The dispatcher guiding him so Daniel would live. "You're gonna be okay buddy." Jonah reached for towels to keep the blood from escaping and he helplessly cried out for the others. They all came storming in.

-

Christina and Maya did everything they could to try and contact Ayla. She'd leave them on read, send them straight to voicemail and go ghost mode. "Christina." Maya shook Christina's shoulder, trying to get her attention. She'd been staring into nothing for the past hour. "Christina. Christina! Come on, we have to stay strong." Maya was nearly screaming. She gave up. Went back to the kitchen, getting out a huge box of goldfish Ayla always had in a secret cabinet.

"God damnit, Ayla." She murmured under her breath, throwing the box in the trash. She calmly went back into the living room. Attempting to wake Christina once again. Before she even laid a hand on her, Christina expression stayed the same, but her tone was cold.

"Fuck this shit." Christina soared up from her seat, Maya following after her. Grabbing her wrist, Maya firmly spoke to her, "Stop it, Christina. We have to stay strong." As much as Maya wanted to cry, she didn't. "We have to for Ayl-"

"She's gone. She's gone. She's gone. She is gone. She's fucking gone and she's not coming back!" Christina jerked away, screaming in Maya's face. With a scrunched face, Maya turned, her hair swooshing behind her. Christina felt awful. "Maya!" She cried, "Maya, wait!" Tears running down both of their faces, "What," Maya snapped. Christina sniffled, her dark eyes full of hurt and regret. "We can't do this. We can't get torn apart." She begged. A slight cracking in Maya, left her speechless, too sad to speak. "All we have is each other." Christina sobbed, shortly falling into each other's arms.

"I miss her." Maya mumbled in Christina's now wet shoulder. Another sniff, running her fingers in Maya's hair, "I do too."

"Why'd she have to leave." Maya sobbed. A single stream of tears ran down Christina's cheek. "She was stronger than all of us. Ayla just couldn't keep it all together this time. And that's okay. She'll come back. I know she will." Maya cried even harder onto her shoulder.

Suddenly Corbyn walked in. Noticing the girls hurt faces, he went to them immediately. "Hey. What's up, guys? Everything okay?" They both shook their heads and he surrounded them in a hug. "It's gonna be okay. They always find their way back to each other." Corbyn spoke. When they heard a shout from Jonah.

"Guys! Hurry! It's Daniel!"

Everyone rushed into the bathroom. Seeing the scene. "Oh my God."

They were all each other had right then.

-

They missed her. Everyone did. No matter how much they tried to hide that they were fine, nobody really was. Everyone was fighting their own demon. Each day, slowly healing.

Will they fall in too deep?

finished - 7/7/18

edited - 12/3/18