chapter twenty nine

ayla's pov

Everything happened in slow motion. Again. Mom raised her gun, firing at me, I watched the bullet swerve, as she shot Carter. When she realized what she'd done, she turned the gun on herself, but she had run out of bullets. Screaming, she ran past us, outside as she was shot down by the entire SWAT team. I watched my mom get shot to her death over and over again in my dream. The woman who raised me.

Then I saw my baby brother. My little brother that I loved more than I loved anyone. My dad, Daniel, even myself. His pale body on the floor, dead. I could almost feel the sting of reality when I was suddenly in a beautiful meadow, filled with daisies and roses and flowers of almost every color of the rainbow. I gathered them, especially the blue morning glories. Blue was Carter's favorite color. I ripped them from the Earth's ground until my arms were full. Then I placed them neatly around his body. His white blood-stained polo with a gray bow tie matched with the color of his face, but also the color of my heart.

Once I finished, looking down at his poor, innocent, lifeless body. And all that could run through my mind was: I should've saved him, I should've just grabbed him and ran. It would've killed me. Maybe it would be better that way. I began to whimper, which soon turned into a hard cry, I ran my fingers through my little brother's hair and felt his soft face. One last time.

I heard a machine beep, waking me from my dream.

"Ayla? Hey, guys I think she's waking up," I heard Daniel's soothing voice say as my eyes started to flutter open.

"Wha- What's going on?" I stuttered, struggling to sit up straight. Daniel lay beside me and gently reached his arm across and pushed me and laid me back down as my dad explained, "When we were trying to leave the uh- school, your- mom somehow got hold of the officers gun and shot you one more time, in the back, causing you to lose more blood than you should've, but that was before Cam killed her. Before hand, she shot Daniel too, it knocked him. Thankfully both surgery's went well." He finished almost out of breath. I noticed his eyes were bloodshot. As if he hadn't slept in days because he was crying.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked, looking around. Daniel and my dad went silent, along with the rest of the people who I now realized were still there. "Only a day. You haven't missed much." My dad spoke uneasily. Only seconds later, he started sniffling and began to whimper, then he walked out of the room. I looked around. I saw Jack and Corbyn, and Christina. They all looked tired with bloodshot eyes. I let the calming silence go on for a minute. It was a nice silence. Not the kind that makes your skin crawl. For once.

"Who really shot me?" I asked, breaking the silence in the small hospital room. "I heard Moms body fall before mine did, it couldn't have been her," They all looked at each other, until Daniel breathed out a heavy breath. "Stop trying to protect me or something. I've lost my mom, big whoop. I'm fine. Over it. Don't try to keep me from reality because that'll only make things worse." Daniel's blue eyes never left my lips, "It was Campbell." My heart sunk. After I thought he'd changed. When he sacrificed his life for Emma. How could he do such a thing?

"What? Why? I really thought he'd changed," I stated weakly, second guessing my previous rant. Daniel gently grabbed my hand, rubbing it smoothly as he explained, "They think Cam has some kind of personality disorder. They've been running some tests and they'll let us know as soon as they figure it out," as he spoke, I looked around. It's crazy how so much can change in one day. Coming to a realization, that one person was missing. Along with another.

"Where's Carter and Zach?" I spoke without thinking, feeling a tear beg to shed down my cheek. "Zach is fine, he's in a different room, Maya is with him, so is Jonah, they keep switching back and forth," Corbyn explained. Holding myself together, I braced myself to hear the truth. My dad slowly stepped back inside, "Ayla, your mom, she shot Carter. She didn't mean to, but she did." I could hear his voice begin to crack.

It took everything. I mean everything not to scream. I just slowly nodded my head. Saying, "She meant to shoot me. I know it. But I'm glad she didn't. If I died, Carter wouldn't know what to do, he'd try to be strong but break down. He's in a better place now." I said without emotion. I could sense the hard stares at me while I sat still, staring at my hospital bracelet.

"When can I go-"

"Ayla, are you sure you don't wanna talk about it?" My dad asked me, taking a seat next to me. My eyes slowly lifted up to see my dad, a broken man. "Yeah, Ayla. You and Carter were really close. It's okay to be sad, or mad, or any other emotion." Christina added.

"Fine, I'm happy, okay? He's in a better place now." Daniel's eyes glared at me. I stared coldly into them, causing him to look away. "Now, when can I go home?"

"Tomorrow." Dad growled, walking out, slamming the door behind him. Corbyn and Jack followed.

"Hey, A." Christina took a seat next to me. "Maya is with Zach. He's in your condition but a little more, emotional," she spoke. I was practically ignoring her. I don't know why, but I just didn't care about my best friend and her boyfriend. Or my boyfriend. Or my friends. Or Daniel. Or me. What I did care about was Carter. I should've saved him. "Well I'm gonna go check on Zach and Maya, make sure they're not, making out or something," She joked. I didn't laugh, or even chuckle or smile. I just stared at the light blue walls around me. She sighed and closed the door. I looked over at Daniel, who was blankly staring at the wall, "What's your problem," I snapped.

He slowly peered over at me, "Carter's dead, if you haven't noticed. I'm not very content about it," His cold voice not caring. I ignored him.

I could hear my dad yelling at the doctors.

"Where's my daughter? Because that's not her in there. She doesn't even care about her brother's death! Who is that person in there?! Because that is not Ayla. Not my Ayla Gray."

"Sir, she's in shock. Give it time and she'll be back to normal."

I stopped listening. I admired the color on the walls. Light blue. I slowly got up from my bed, "You're not supposed to get up," Daniel assured me. I was taking the beeping monitor with me as I followed the color into the bathroom where there was a mirror. I didn't care. I stared at myself. My hair was in messy waves and my eyes look dreary and my face was a pale color. My tan bright face no longer present. All I could think was:

Someone help me.

-

oh hi, haven't posted in a whileee

comment and vote and tell me what you think will happen!!!

loveeee youuu guyyys <3

5/7/18