chapter twenty eight

ayla's pov |

"Mom, please don't," I breathed anxiously, looking at her while she held her gun wound from Campbell. She made a face as she began lifting her off of Anna, who was crying intensively. Carelessly pointing it at each of us. "Mommy, stop," Carter was starting to bawl, this made her angry so she threatened us, "Carter, you better shut that tiny mouth of yours, before I shut it for you."

"Mom. You don't have to do this," I slowly stood up, her first instinct being to point her gun at me. "No!" the sync of voices said as I began shuffling towards her with my hands up. "Let Anna go, take me instead," I stood up, Daniel held onto me, "Let go," I pleaded. He looked to his parents who nodded, they trusted me. My heart was beating so incredibly fast it was as if I couldn't be in my own body anymore. The closer I got, the farther she got from Anna, until I was in her grip. She let her go. Taking me.

"Oh, Anna!" Daniel and his family ambushed her as she fell into their arms, sobbing. Mom started to whimper, the gun in her hands slowly quivering down by her side. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Then she started laughing. Not a sweet motherly laughter. It was a cynical, evil laughter, the kind you hear in horror movies. "But, I'm not. I'm really not. You know, I could shoot you all," She held it up to my head. Daniel flinching at this, "No!" She saw his reaction, giving him a scoff, "Actually, Maybe I will. Starting with,"

Waving her gun in eeny meeny miny mo sync, she continued, going from me, "Eenie," to Carter, "Meenie," to Dad, "Miney," to Jonah, then finally, to Daniel, "You." I screeched, "Mom. Don't. Please. Shoot me instead!" I somehow broke from her grip, throwing myself in front of Daniel.

"No!" She picked me up kicking me against the wall. "You ruined everything! You ruined my sweet angels life!" She grabbed Daniels collar, pointing to underneath his head. All of us watching in fear as she did so. "Mom, stop! Please!" My throat burned as I screamed. Scanning the room, everyone was crying. His family couldn't even bear to look, Jeff bravely ready to pounce on her the first chance he got. Dad, protecting Carter, shielding him from her. Corbyn protecting Christina and Maya holding Zach, trying to ease his wound. Jonah watched in despair, Jack holding himself together watching his best friend die. I watched Daniel breathe rapidly, possibly taking his final breaths.

Then, I noticed the man from the SWAT coming in sneakily. "This is your fault," She growled, pulling the trigger. The man charged at her, causing the gun to go off, I heard Anna scream, "Daniel! No!" My heart fell, followed by the man saying "Run!" I could barely get myself up. I searched for Daniel, who was lying on the ground, "Daniel!" I shouted trying to reach him before I was grabbed.

Jonah picked up Zach and started sprinting, followed by Maya, Christina and Corbyn, Jack, and all the other students. Dad, Carter, and I ran together. Until we heard another shot. Followed by silence. Everyone was running out the door and I lost Carter, so I went back for him.

"Ayla! What are you doing!?" Jonah screamed as I stayed on his tail. "Carter is still in there! I lost him!" I shouted over the commotion. He tossed Zach to Dad, who had full faith in me as we went back in together and found him, scared in a corner. "Carter! Come here," He came into my arms and we ran back out, just as we reached the doors, a shot fired again. This one hit my leg.

"Ayla!" Jonah's eyes went wide, dropping to my side, Carter beginning to bawl. "Guys, I'm fine, let's get out of he-"

"Not so fast." My mom was back, dragging the lifeless body of Daniel, which caused me to let out a cry, "You really thought it'd be that easy?" She chuckled, "Well, you were wrong. Now you're going to pay." She slid Daniel's body over to me, Jonah pulling him closer, I saw a wound. But not one that hit him, just barely scratched him. His eyes fluttered open. "I thought I was dead," He winced. "Daniel," I gave him a quick hug, getting his blood on me. Jonah let out a sigh of relief, along with setting Carter behind him.

"Mom, please. It doesn't have to be this way. Trust me," I bribed, getting up, leaving Daniel on the ground. She lowered her weapon and listened to me for once. "If you stop. I'll go to live with you. I won't complain. I'll listen to you, do anything you want, just please. Please stop all of this. It would be like how you always wanted it to be. I promise." Daniel looked up at me, his heart breaking. Seeing Carter face, I looked away, Jonah began helping Daniel to get up. He knew what I was doing. She was uneasy, asking, "You'd really do that?"

Without hesitation, I shouted, "Yes! Yes, I promise! I'll tell them that- That Campbell was behind this. That he blackmailed you. Then you'll be free and he'll be behind bars. Then we can live happily ever after! Just like you always wanted." I exclaimed, coming closer to her. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched Daniel acting sad, because he caught on to what I was doing. Carter was speechless.

"It'll be just like you always wanted, Mom. I can give you another chance."

She stared me coldly in the eye, "Okay?" I asked, a smile slowly forming on her lips. I smiled back. I'd won.

But then her smile dropped, "Liar." She growled.

Everything happened in slow motion. She raised her gun, firing at me, my eyes widening as I watched, along with Daniel and Jonah screaming, "Ayla, no!" Carter stood up, running towards me, I watched the bullet swerve, as it hit Carter. "Carter!" I screamed, falling to his side, Jonah and Daniel coming as well. Daniel looked up at my mom, glaring at her, then proceeded to get up, but as she realized what she'd done, she turned the gun on herself, but she had run out of bullets..

"Carter!" I screamed, taking off my jacket to hold his wound. He'd been shot right in the chest. "We need an ambulance!" Daniel shouted out, tears running down his face as gurneys and nurses swarmed inside. I watched them take my mom in handcuffs, her face pale and her eyes bloodshot. I held Carter's face, as it started turning cold and pale. "Ayla," His voice softly croaked, "you didn't mean it right? What you said to her?"

My heart broke, "No, baby, no. I would never leave you. I love you so so so much." I was crying, with my lip quivering as I gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"I love you, Ayl-" Then he passed out and started seizing. "What- No. No. No!" Daniel held me back as I tried going after him. I let the doctors take him "We're losing him," I kept hearing them say. Over and over again. "Ayla, we have to get you to a gurney, you're bleeding out." Jonah was reaching for me to help me onto a gurney.

When I heard 2 gunshots, followed by a thump of a body. Then, another shot was fired. This time at me, hitting my back. That's when I went out cold.

-

"Sweetheart? Hey, sweety, can you tell us your name?" My eyes fluttered open. I looked up at hospital lights and over at Daniel's blue eyes, they were red swelling with tears, not blinking. "A-Ayla," I croaked out, "Alrighty, Ayla. We're gonna do our best to help you, okay. You're gonna be fine." I nodded as my eyes shuttered closed.

"Sir, you're gonna have to stay here."

"What's gonna happen? Is she gonna make it?" I heard Dad stutter. "We're not sure. She lost a lot of blood. The surgery should have a positive outcome but we can't promise anything." I heard her say. "No, I can't lose another child," Dad whimpered. Another child? That means.

Carter didn't make it.

-

short chapter, sorry but here ya go.

4/8/18