chapter sixteen

ayla's pov |

Why was he here? Why was he trying to find me? I felt something deep in my stomach. It was like, I wanted to fall into Daniel's arms and cry, but I also felt scared that Cam was here because what if my mother put him up to something. I held back the tears in my eyes as I longed for something. I just didn't know what it was. I scanned my surroundings that flew from Campbell to Corbyn to Christina, who was holding Carter in her arms, trying to go the opposite direction.

Campbell came closer to me, "Well, Ayla, LA is a big city. You can run into almost anyone. I think I saw Chris Pratt over at there," he spoke with a smirk on his face, causing me to instantly scoot backwards, bumping into Daniel who looked me in the eyes and knew something was wrong. He pushed me behind him, stepping forward.

"Hey bud. What'cha need?" He asked, clenching his fists and coming closer to Campbell's face. Cam calmly took a step back and glanced over at me with a smirk. "Oh, I just wanted to talk to Ayla, that's all." He mumbled. "Christina, can you and Corbyn take Carter somewhere on a ride or something?" he pleaded, they nodded doing as told. Carter looked back over his shoulder and had a very concerned look on his face. I gave him a mere smile and he smiled back, happily trotting with Corbyn and Christina.

Campbell stood there. Waiting for an answer. Before Daniel could threaten him, I spoke up, "Fine. We can talk. Make it quick," He smiled, Daniel just stayed standing there, "Just trust me, I've got this," I told him. "I guess I'll just leave you two." He groaned, walking about 30 feet away. I slowly looked up at him, "What do you want, Cam" I demanded, with a hint of fear in my eyes. He chuckled, "Oh, Ayla, you and your gorgeous eyes," placing a hand on my cheek, causing me to flinch, he noticed my fading bruise that was still there. I calmly pulled it away. "Woah. What happened there?" He concernedly asked.

"Stop. I'm not doing this," I shot, going away from him and turning. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me back in, this time closer to his face, "I want you back," He declared. "Please" he begged. I gave him a glare, flinging my arm away from him, "Why now?" I spoke with anger and annoyance in my voice. I was fed up with his childish behavior. I stepped back even more.

"After I'm finally free. After I've run away from the one thing that was keeping me from my happiness. After my mom beat me every time I would try standing up to her?" I screamed as I pointed to the bruise on my cheek. "After everything Daniel and I went through to be together?" I said through stutters, using my hands to show emotions. I looked in his dark eyes and saw his hesitation. He probably just expected me to completely drop Daniel and run into his arms with happiness. But this wasn't the case.

"I realized how terrible life is without you. I realized how much I really love you and how I never valued you enough. I don't like how things are now," he responded. "Take me back, Ayla," I could see phony tears in his eyes. After all, he was the star in every one of our school plays, "Please," he choked out. I kept a straight face. "Just leave. You're wasting your time, Campbell Roth," I said rolling my eyes. "Ayla, how long do you actually think it's gonna last?" He shouted, throwing me a glare with frustration growing on his face. I turned to him. "Open your eyes, Ayla! This isn't a fairy tale for Gods sake! You don't belong with them!" He growled, throwing his hands near me, his chest rising up and down, frightening me, I stepped away from him. He noticed my fear and kept coming closer, trying to calm himself down. He eventually got close enough to hold my shoulders saying, "You and Carter belong with me. Home. In Texas. Just come home," he slowly breathed onto my neck, his ice cold hands holding my face and trying to make their way to my lips. Starting to wrap his arms around my waist, finding his way down to my crotch. I tried pulling away when he grabbed my butt, making me stay. I wondered where the hell Daniel was. "If I kiss you. Promise you'll leave me alone," I said while he held his stance. He gave a small smirk and aggressively placed his lips on mine, they were rough and harsh, but I stayed there because I couldn't escape it. I couldn't escape the thought of him kissing me. Then he slipped his tongue in my mouth and I let him. But I didn't want it. He let me go for a breath and then went back in for more, before he could I pulled my hand back, I slapped him across his cheek. Hearing the slap.