Preface

No matter what age we are, many of us prefer to speak to our peers about experiences we are going through, especially around issues of sex and sexuality. Many young women have expressed to us that there is a lack of material they can relate to on sexuality and relation- ships. They want something not only aimed at them, but also creat- ed by them. Out of this frustration came The Little Black Book for Girlz. The book was created by young women who hung out at the St. Stephen’s Community House Youth Arcade Drop-In, in downtown Toronto. As a group we had many discussions about all kinds of different issues.These discussions were very honest and non-judgmental, and the girls wanted sex ed. material that was equally positive and empowering to them. As a group we decided to write our own book that would encourage other young women to learn more about their bodies, their relationship, and their lives.

The Youth Arcade was an ideal environment for this project. It is a space where youth can meet, share experiences, identify problems, and support each other. It is also a place where they are challenged to think critically about the world around them. By having this space, the girls were able to take responsibility for the creation of the book and able to honestly talk and write about their lives.

At the time, and in such a supportive atmosphere, we felt very brave and powerful. We thought, “A book? No problem!” Well it turned out to be a little harder than we expected. Sex and relation- ships are HUGE subjects. To keep the book a manageable size, we had to cut out entire chapters on issues like body image, childhood sexual abuse, media, and religion. At times many of the writers were frustrated by the process and had other issues they were dealing with at home and school. It took two years and constant revisions with a number of youth and community professionals, including social workers and doctors, to edit and review it ... and here we are today.

We’re happy to report that the young women involved with The Little Black Book have become local superstars for their work on the project. Their names have popped up on television, on radio, and in magazines, all praising the girls for their honesty, their edge, and their creative spirit.

At St. Stephen’s Community House we feel that material directed at youth is most effective when written by youth. Our hope is that this book offers information without judgment—without making girls feel bad about who they are and the decisions they make. We want our readers to feel intrigued, better educated, more capable of looking after themselves, and generally better able to make safe and fulfilling decisions regarding sex and relationships. To help in all this, we have included a resource guide and a glossary at the back of the book. Reading about all these issues may bring up questions that are not answered in The Little Black Book, so please check out the web- sites and hotlines that are listed if you require additional information. We hope you enjoy the book.

Sincerely,
Bridget Sinclair, Project Coordinator and Facilitator Marlon Merraro, Manager, Youth Services
St. Stephen’s Community House