Period Interview

Other words for period:

• bleeding

• the curse

• menstruation

• my visiting friend

• rag

Q. Why do women get their first periods at different ages, like 12 or 17?

A. It depends on the woman. Some will physically mature earlier and some will mature later. When her body is ready, it will mature and she’ll start having her periods.

Q. What is the normal length of a period?

A. A period usually lasts two to eight days. Shorter than that may only be spotting and not a true period. Longer than eight days would be worth getting checked out by a doctor, especially if the flow is heavy.

Q. Does a tampon make your vagina wider/bigger?

A. No, not at all. The vagina is a flexible passageway. When a tampon (or penis) is inserted, the elastic walls of the vagina stretch to accommodate. When the tampon (or penis) is removed, the vagina returns to its original shape and size. 

Q. Can virgins use tampons?

A. Yes, you can certainly use a tampon before you have had penetrative vaginal sex. There is a membrane (piece of skin), called the hymen, which sometimes will block a bit of the open- ing. Some women won’t notice it at all while others might find their vaginal openings tighter. If it is difficult to put a tampon in your vagina, you could try inserting your own fingers to stretch the opening or use a water-based lubricant with the tampon. (For more info about hymens, see page 69.)

Q. What does it mean when your period is late and you are not pregnant?

A. It could mean a few things. If you’re definitely not pregnant it could just mean it’s delayed. Some women’s periods will be delayed because of stress and body changes like weight loss, weight gain, illness, or changes in lifestyle. It’s not uncommon to miss a period every once in a while, especially when you first start getting it. It doesn’t necessarily mean there is anything wrong with you; your body just might be off one month. That said, if it continues for two to three months in a row, then you should talk to a doctor.

Q. Do you weigh more before your period and less after?

A. Some women do tend to retain water – this is called bloating. It’s very common and, therefore, you might weigh 454–908 g (1–2 lb.) more. Once your period is completed, that water retention goes away. We call this cyclical weight gain: around your cycle you’ll gain then lose and gain then lose it.

Q. Should you use a tampon or a pad?

A. It’s really a personal decision. Some women don’t like to use tampons and for them a pad would be better. Some women hate pads. A number of women use both if their periods are really heavy, or they may alternate. Other women use alternative methods like reuseable pads and menstrual cups.