Sexually Transmitted Infections

The most important information about sexually transmitted infections is that you must talk to your partner about STIs and your health BEFORE you have sex. You can pass on an STI without ever knowing you have it, and so can your partner. Before you start a sexual relationship, it is important to have both partners tested for STIs. See your doctor or visit a clinic. See the resources section at the back of this book for information on how to find a clinic in your area.

You should be tested for STIs once a year if you or your partner have sex with other people, if you had unprotected sex, or a condom (or a dental dam, etc.) breaks. If you think you have a STI, visit a doctor or clinic RIGHT AWAY.

Most STIs are curable, but if you leave them for a long time untreated, they can do permanent damage and cause serious illness. Some infections can stop you from ever being able to have children or are life-threatening.

Another reason that you should get tested for STIs is because most people don't have any signs (that you would notice) of the STI but can still pass it on to someone!!

***It is very important that you tell your partner about any STIs that you may have because they have a big chance of catching it!!!! If you get treated and your partner doesn't, they will just give it back to you!!!***

The group