Questions We've Had about HIV/AIDS and Answers We Found

Reseached and Written by the Group

Q. What does HIV mean?

A. HIV stands for human immunodeficiency virus. It is a virus that works really slowly to destroy your immune system. This break- down of the immune system is called AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome). So AIDS is a later stage of HIV infection.

Q. What does it mean if you have HIV?

A. If you have HIV antibodies in your blood it means you are infected with HIV. A positive test does not mean you have AIDS. It does mean that you can pass the virus onto others through blood, vaginal fluids, semen, and breast milk.

If the HIV infection worsens, it develops into AIDS; your immune system breaks down and you may get very sick from infections and could die from an AIDS-related illness. If you are HIV positive, it is time to start taking care of yourself. Start eating better, resting more, and protect yourself from other STIs. There are special treatments that can really help. Getting good medical attention is very important and so is emotional support. See the resources at the back of this book for a list of organizations that can provide you with information and support.

Q. What is AIDS?

A. It stands for acquired immune deficiency syndrome. It means your immune system has been weakened by HIV so your body cannot fight off illness. There is no cure for AIDS, but medications keep improving.

Q. What does it mean if you have AIDS?

A. AIDS is a medical diagnosis that means that HIV has weak- ened your immune system to the point that your health is threatened. You are at risk for serious opportunistic infections— in other words, infections that take advantage of your low defences.

Q. How can you get HIV? I thought only older people who have anal sex or use drugs get it.

A. People used to think it was a "gay" disease but that is not true. A lot of young men and women are HIV positive.

There are three things that must exist for someone to pass HIV from one person to another:

1. One person must have the virus present in their blood, semen, vaginal fluids, or breast milk.

2. There must be a sufficient amount of the virus in the body fluid that's passed to the other person. Blood, semen, and vaginal and cervical secretions can carry a lot of the virus. Other body fluids like sweat, tears, and saliva don't carry enough of the virus.

3.The virus must penetrate through the skin and into the body. This can happen through a number of ways: vaginal sex, anal sex, and sharing needles and sex toys are high risk. Fisting, rimming, and oral sex are low risk activities that can transmit the virus. The virus can be passed from mother to infant in the uterus, labor, or through breast-feeding. If you have another STI, it makes it easier to be infected with HIV.

Q. Can lesbians get AIDS?

A. There is a myth that lesbians cannot get AIDS. First off, a lot of lesbians have sex or have had sex with men, and there are lesbians who use needles. HIV can be found in vaginal fluids and blood, including your period blood. If you have oral sex with a woman, you could get HIV through the small sores or small cuts in your mouth as well as through fingering or sharing sex toys. If a women already has an STI or is on her period, the risk will be increased.

Q. If you are HIV positive, will you have AIDS?

A. If you are HIV positive, the virus will not necessarily develop into AIDS in the near future. It can take up to 15 years before you show symptoms of AIDS. But the virus will still be multiplying in your body.

Q. How can you find out if you have HIV?

A. You can get tested. There are a few ways you can do this: • First (and most common) are blood tests. These include thestandard blood test and the rapid blood test. The standard blood test tests antibodies from blood samples and gives results within 2-3 weeks. In the US, you can get a rapid blood test, which gives results in less than an hour.

Second, there is the oral mucosal transudate test. This test checks for HIV antibodies in oral fluids (but not saliva) by placing a special pad in the mouth, between the lower cheek and gums.

Third, there is the urine antibody test, which tests for antibodies in – you guessed it – your pee.

Check with your local clinics to find out what kind of testing they do in your area.

Q. Are the tests confidential?

A. There are different types of testing systems, but all are confidential.

Voluntary (or Nominal) Testing: Most doctors and hospitals use this system, in which the test results can be traced to you. This means your name is on the test. In the US, only hospital or clinic personnel and state health departments can access your files. You have to sign a written permission form before your information can be revealed to others.

Anonymous Testing: Under this system, the hospital or clinic doesn't take your name so there is no way they can trace the test result to you. You make the appointment by phone. In the US, you are assigned a random number to link you with your test. In Canada, you can use your first name or a code. Your address and phone number are not needed. After 2-3 weeks, you return to the clinic to get the results. In Canada, results are not given over the phone. In the US, anonymous testing is only available in 39 states. Check with your local clinic to see if anonymous testing is avail- able in your area.

Q. Can you get HIV the first time you have sex? A. Yes, definitely! You can get HIV the first time you have sex. Always protect yourself.

Q. Are there teenagers who have HIV?

A. Yes, there are lots! According to a 2004 UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic, young people aged 15–24 account for half of all new HIV infections worldwide.There are a lot of issues for youth that are HIV positive. Many of them become homeless, because families kick them out. Some of them are using drugs and this affects their ability to maintain good health. Many young people don't know they are infected. Young women should also be aware that if they are HIV positive and pregnant, they can take medication that lowers the risk of their baby being infected.