About St. Stephen's Community House and the Drug-Free Youth Arcade program

St. Stephen's Community House is a unique, community-based social service agency that has been serving the needs of Kensington Market and surround- ing neighborhoods in downtown West Toronto since 1962. Operating with a staff of over 150 people and with the support of almost 400 volunteers, we provide services for more than 32,000 people a year. St. Stephen's addresses the most pressing issues in its community - poverty, hunger, homelessness, unemployment, isolation, conflict and violence, AIDS, racism, youth alienation, and the integration of refugees and immigrants.

Specifically, we will endeavor to maintain and to enhance our role as a leader and partner in the community by providing:

• A quick response to community needs

• Access to a range of services for children, youth, adults, and seniors

• Immigrant and refugee support programs

• Advocacy to improve the quality of life of our community • Support for community capacity building

• Effective, high impact programs

ARCADE'S MISSION: To provide a range of youth services that (1) meet emerging and critical youth social, health, recreation, and education needs; (2) empower youth to speak, advocate, and lead youth programming that impact on their lives; (3) assist youth facing a range of barriers and life experi- ences through the transition to young adulthood safely and confidently;

(4) To encourage youth to think critically about themselves and the community in which they live.

How do we make sense of our mission? The Arcade has become the hub of the youth community in our neighborhoods. Youth know it to be a place where they can get information in a non-judgmental and supportive environ- ment. Parents know it's a safe place where their kids can hang out and socialize with their peers while getting information and support. In addition, the Arcade programs are designed to assist youth make the transition from being a teenager to a young adult. Programs support our youth educational endeavors, support their social skills and learning, develop their leadership skills, and build resilience. Funders know it as a well-managed, youth driven program with strong community networks. St. Stephen's Community House and the Youth Arcade receive on-going financial support from the City of Toronto.