Letz Talk About Sex

Penny Nicholls

Being sexually active can raise a lotta questions. So where do you go for the answers? Books, music, movies, magazines, the internet, ... but what about your girl friends? They’ve got answers – they’re not right, they’re not wrong but they are from their own experiences!

Advice and opinions from other girls can really clear your mind. Did I do it right? Did he do it right? What else can we do? You’d be surprised how knowledgeable you all are and how much you can teach each other, just by talking. I think it’s extremely important for friends to share their sexual experience, preferences, concerns, and questions. But do teenage girls talk about sex? It depends on the friendship.

My ex-best friend was extremely shy and self-conscious. I asked her a few questions about sex during our relationship, but her answers were always minimal. I could tell she was uncomfortable with the topic so I stopped bringing it up, even though it would have been interesting for me to compare our first times, to see if hers was pleasurable or painful, if she was happy or scared.

My relationship with my current best friend is SOO the opposite. We talk about our sexual interests and experiences in detail because both of us are completely comfortable with our sexuality and each other. When I say detail, I mean detail: size, length, strength, position, kinky, sweet, rough, soft ... everything! We don’t talk every time we engage in a sexual act with someone, but we do discuss the times worth talking about or the times that were kind of weird, when advice and opinions from a girlfriend can help clear up our questions or concerns.

Well, that’s my experience, I’ve had both types of friendships and I’m so happy I have someone to talk with now. If you’re close to and comfortable with a friend, why not bring up sex next time you talk? It may seem weird at first, you may feel sort of uncomfortable, but with time that will start to go away. You’ll be surprised not only how much she has to offer you, but what you have to offer her. Sex is a wonder- ful thing ... so is talking about it.