Spirituality and Sex

Corrine Aberdeen

Can a body be a temple? Can sex be a prayer to something higher, greater than ourselves? Despite the impression I get from most major religions, sex can be an incredibly spiritual and soulful experience. The warm, smooth, and heated friction between bodies cannot only be beneficial to our minds and hearts, but to our souls as well.

I feel that many religions don't give sex the spiritual credit it deserves. Too often sex is seen as a mindless or even evil act engaged in by two people who can't control them- selves, or as only a means to an end - babies! But some ancient religions believed that sex was one of the ultimate channels to connect with gods or goddesses. An example of this would be the orgasm. People could argue that having an orgasm is a very powerful spiritual experience. Having this happen with a partner who makes you feel safe, calm, and loved is an even more amazing experience, since that special connection makes you aware of how amazing this act is, and how your bodies are beautiful, strong, and sacred things. As you cuddle afterwards, look deeply into your partner's eyes and take a deep breath - you'll feel calm and relaxed, just like you might feel when you say a prayer or meditate.

No matter which faith you believe in, all religions teach that love is the strongest virtue anyone can have. Sex is a natural act that, when it's safe, trusting, and consensual, can be very loving and may make you feel closer to yourself, your partner, and a greater force higher than you both.