Ways Women Can Protect Themselves

Buddy Systems—When you are out at night, stay with a friend and make a deal to look out for each other. If you are drinking, look out for each other. In clubs, keep an eye on your friend and check in with each other.

If you are with a partner, be as clear as you can about what you want sexually and what you don't want—and let him know.

If a man makes sexist comments or jokes, or doesn't respect what you want or say, then you may not want to be around that person anymore. If you have no choice but to be around him (if he is a teacher of yours or something), try not to be alone with him, and let other people know that that man makes you uncomfortable.

Avoid isolated places—When you're walking alone day or night avoid alleys or areas where there are no other people. Always be aware of who is around you and what they are doing. If you can, always carry enough money for a cab or bus.

Beware of RohypnolTM and other date-rape drugs—These are drugs that some men are putting in women's drinks in clubs and bars. What has been happening is that a guy will try to pick up a young woman. He will slip the pill in her drink. Soon she will start to feel sleepy and ill. He will then offer to take her home and eventually she will pass out. Then he will sexually assault her. Watch your drink. Don't take drinks or drugs from a stranger. Date-rape drugs have no taste and are odorless, so you can't tell if any is in your drink. If you lose time or memory, are nauseous or vomiting, and feel like something happened "down there", consider getting medically checked out. You may have been sexually assaulted.

WENDO—WENDO is self-defense for women only. There are many types of self-defense and many are offered through community centers.