What's all the fuss about?

Okay, I know it may seem different to you when you see two people of the same sex walking down the street holding hands or kissing on a park bench. But by now, especially if you live in downtown Toronto, you should be used to it. When two people of the same sex are together, they don’t harm anyone—so why do some people hate gay and lesbian people?

Most children are not taught at home that it’s okay to see or be a lesbian or a gay person. When some children see gay and lesbian stuff on TV or out in the public, they freak out and make nasty comments or laugh. It’s just not right. Why does it matter so much when two people of the same sex like each other?

I know there are some people who don’t like seeing it, but, hey, if you don’t like it, turn your head. Haven’t your parents ever taught you that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all?

When you see a gay or lesbian person, what do you see?

Do you see a person with three rabbit ears and two ram’s horns and a cat tail, two elephant tusks, and six dog paws? Or do you see a “normal” regular looking human being? With two ears just like you, two eyes just like your mom, two legs just like your best friend, and two arms just like your sister. If so, then what are you staring at?

Gay and lesbian people are human beings. They are living, breathing people. They are cousins, dentists, lawyers, brothers and sisters, taxi and streetcar drivers. So what is all the fuss about?

Suvi Siu