The Pill

I went on the Pill when I was 13 years old.I had gone to a health clinic and they thought it would help with my periods. My periods were 10 days long and very painful.

When I was 15 years old, I started dating Mark. He was older and cute, and we laughed a lot about really silly things. We would sit in his room and play rummy 500 endlessly. We laughed all the time.

I decided I was ready to have sex. We tried several times before it actually happened. First, we tried on Algonquin Island, in broad daylight. I was really uncomfortable and it hurt like hell. He couldn't get it in, so we gave up. I was bruised for days.

We tried again in his bedroom. I was not really interested but I felt I had to. Again, it was unsuccessful and hurt like hell. I cried this time and we gave up.

Finally, in the laundry room, it worked. I was not thrilled. It was awkward and painful. I decided to stay on the Pill since I was having sex. I didn't think about STIs or AIDS. I didn't connect that with me.

When I was 18 years old I started to get yeast infections. Most women will experience one or two in their lives, but I had a yeast infection for a full year! I tried all the remedies: yogurt tampons, cranberry juice, no sugar, no caffeine, and cotton undies. I read all the books, talked to a million women about their experiences ... I did everything. Finally, I was given medicine.

Let's picture what your arm might look like if you had an allergic reaction to cream. Now imagine what your vagina would look like with an allergic reaction to cream. That was me, in bed for two weeks straight, not able to walk or anything. I was totally embarrassed and in pain.

At this point, the doctor suggested I be tested for HIV. I had had one other boyfriend since Mark. I had never used a condom and I knew Mark had fooled around behind my back.When the doctor told me that chronic yeast infections could be a symptom of AIDS, I felt numb all over. I left her office and went straight to my mom's. I wasn't even going to tell my mom, but when I saw her, I broke down in tears. I was so scared.

I had the test and it took three long, miserable, bloody weeks. When I went back to her office for the results, I was ready to barf, I was so scared. I thought it would make sense for me to be HIV positive. I was this nice little girl who had been with only two boys; I was from a normal family. It had People Magazine written all over it.

I wanted to hug the doctor when she said the test was negative! I went out and celebrated in a big way with everyone. But why was I still getting yeast infections?

Finally, my doctor suggested I go off the Pill. So after seven years of taking it, I said good-bye to the Pill.

It was a miracle: within a month I was fine! I was so happy, BUT at the same time I was pissed off. I went out to learn more about this bloody Pill. What I learned I was not thrilled with.

I realized that there are a lot of positives about the Pill, BUT there are negatives for some women. I wasn't given all the information. It turned out that some women get yeast infections while on the Pill. I have since spoken to people at Public Health and at various clinics, and some people say it is rare for yeast infections to be a side effect, but I have known a couple of women who have experienced it.

I guess what I am saying is get the facts about any medication!!! Always wear a condom and if birth control is your priority then also try the Pill and see how it works for you. Give it three months, and if it is not working, then try something else (see earlier in this chapter for other options).The key thing I discovered in all of this is that you have to learn about what you put in your body before you take it. From now on, I will read and ask questions and I will demand that people working in the medical field give patients all the information before they push them to make a decision.

Anonymous