Act 1: Scene 7

MINISTRY OF MAGIC, GRAND MEETING ROOM

Wizards and witches from all over cram into the grand meeting room. They rattle and chatter like all true wizards and witches can. Amongst them, HERMIONE and RON. At the opposite end, near a garishly designed stage, stands HARRY looking lost. DELPHI appears with a smile.

DELPHI: What did I miss?

HARRY (his eyes brighten before rolling): Heh, nothing. And I doubt that will change.

DELPHI nods flirtatiously. She is a year older. Her cuteness has evolved. DELPHI is attractive and she knows it. Her sweet persona has developed into something confident, bordering on coquettish.

DELPHI: Well, if there's no reason to be here...

She makes to depart and then hesitates. She smiles at HARRY.

HARRY: You'd better not leave me here to face these people alone.

DELPHI: Get used to it, Harry. I'm no longer your subordinate. This fine young woman is going places. Distant places.

HARRY suddenly pulls out his wand.

HARRY: That settles it, then. If I'm to be a lone wolf, I'll need to start disguising myself. What method should I employ, Polyjuice Potion? Transfiguration? Animagus? I could become an actual wolf.

DELPHI: Why aim so low? The great Harry Potter? He could turn himself into Dumbledore if he concentrated hard enough.

HARRY: I could manage the wrinkles, that's for sure. And the beard — long, silvery. But I don't need to tell you, a complete transfiguration of another person is an impossibility. It's been attempted by other wizards and gone awry, dreadfully so.

GEORGE WEASLEY swoops up between them, he was hiding behind the stage.

GEORGE (amusedly): Is that right? Fascinating. My brother, who I had once affectionately called Fred... (to DELPHI) he perished in a hot air balloon collision... heard of this bloke who transformed himself into a giant snake one sunny Sunday afternoon.

HARRY and DELPHI are grinning. No one can resist GEORGE's charms.

And after the switcheroo was switched and roo'd — nose never grew back. Imagine that? The man was so embarrassed, he changed his name to....Volde-something.

DELPHI (half-serious): That's — that's not really what happened is it?

GEORGE: Who nose?

GEORGE taps the side of his nose. They laugh.

Nevertheless, that does give me a splendid idea.

HARRY: What's that, George?

GEORGE: An impromptu display of exquisite buffoonery. Harry, be a friend and tell me how long until Percival Clear-Weasel, Amateur of Magic, graces us with his presence. One must strike while the mind is hot.

HARRY (shrugging): You know your brother. He delights in inviting other people to events, only to arrive late himself.

GEORGE: Deliberately, yes. Well, I'm off. Thank you, my good man.

GEORGE scratches his upper lip, nods, then slips expertly into the crowd. He begins his search for RON and HERMIONE.

DELPHI: So, transfiguration is off the table. You don't want to lose a nose.

HARRY (raising his wand, contemplative): No — but I could get rid of this scar, once and for all.

DELPHI: Not with that wand, you won't.

HARRY sighs heavily.

HARRY: I thought holly would do the trick. My old wand wood. (beat) Nine straight weeks. We had a good run — until the kelpie incident.

DELPHI: Who knew they bred in bogs?

HARRY: Thanks for saving my skin.

DELPHI takes out her wand, she uses magic to twirl it between her fingers.

DELPHI: I was trained by the best.

HARRY (in a whisper, winking): Shh... Auror's privilege.

DELPHI: Auror's privilege.

HARRY: Congratulations, by the way. It's official — Delphini Drake is an Auror. (He flings up his hands) I've resigned myself to the fact that you'll have my job by Halloween.

DELPHI: Never. I don't want to live in a world where Harry Potter isn't in charge.

HARRY: If I was in charge, we wouldn't be having ridiculous meetings like this.

They look out. The crowd is growing more agitated by the minute.

And where is Percy? They keep looking at me as if I have even the slightest idea what this is about.

DELPHI: They idolize you, Harry. I swear...a few of them are considering carefully whether or not to jinx me because I'm close enough to touch your robes.

HARRY: You could be right about that. Maybe you should kneel — we don't want them getting jealous.

DELPHI faces HARRY, expressionless. There's an awkward pause between them.

DELPHI (slowly and smirking): Nice try. I'm not one of your worshipers, Harry.

A soothing harp song begins to play. The critical reactions of displeasure in the crowd make it evident that the song not only has the opposite effect but signals the arrival of PERCIVAL CLEARWATER, Minister of Magic.

That said, don't you dare remove that scar.