Act 1: Scene 22 (concluded)

DIAGON ALLEY — 2020

HARRY notices a bench outside Flourish and Blotts. He sits and unfolds the newspaper clipping, consumed by guilt, but hiding it well. HARRY looks down at the photograph — part of him likes it and part of him doesn't.

At once, the world around Diagon Alley darkens and all sounds drop off as another scene comes to life on the stage. A crowd appears at the back, dressed in dull hues of grayish brown. PHOTO HARRY and PHOTO DELPHI are there, moving at half-speed. This is the enchanted photograph from the Daily Prophet.

Some in the crowd genuflect, others reach forward to shake hands with PHOTO HARRY, and he thanks them with graceful nods. Faintly, like a distant wind, a celestial and unsettling chorus is heard as PHOTO HARRY turns his eyes toward the edge of the crowd. Toward PHOTO DELPHI. She holds his gaze for longer than expected, and both of them smile affectionately. The music swells. Eventually, PHOTO HARRY turns his focus back on the crowd and the loop of the enchanted photograph cycles.

It is clear why Albus left this clipping for his mother, and why GINNY, heartbroken by the sight, was convinced that her husband had feelings for DELPHI.

Suddenly, and from a place beyond the bounds of the photograph, someone screams. The interrupted scene goes dark.

Lights come up on Diagon Alley. HARRY is pulled back to the present and looks around confusedly. There is the sound of screaming behind him. What is that screaming? He stands and looks around himself — entirely panicked. All around, wizards and witches are running and firing spells. HARRY stops one of them FRIGHTENED WIZARD.

HARRY: What is it? What's happening?!

FRIGHTENED WIZARD: The Tempest! Run!

FRIGHTENED WIZARD pushes HARRY aside and flees Diagon Alley with the others. They all move fast, shoving him further down the alley, away from his family. From all sides, there is screaming. Many of them run through the aisles and cower beside seats in the auditorium. HARRY is entirely overwhelmed. And then we hear unfamiliar voices. Rather suddenly, figures appear from the other end of the stage. HARRY sees them, and he stops, and he says nothing.

Members of the Tempest are casting spells, all sorts of chaos ensues, crates of supplies burst open, owls break free from toppled cages, glass shatters, storefronts explode. From the center of this comes a dark figure wearing a scarred Death Eater mask. It is the AUGUREY.

HARRY is invigorated by the sight of the AUGUREY and breaks free from the crowd. He pulls out his wand and rushes forward. He is distracted a moment later at the sight of his family through the windows of the bookshop. They are being attacked by the Tempest. Among them, RODOLPHUS LESTRANGE, and the werewolf, FENRIR GREYBACK. Through the window, GINNY looks at her husband, full of fear. ALBUS turns towards them, wand swinging, as LILY goes barreling up to a bookshelf for safety. JAMES is held back by GINNY as he charges at them. Caught off guard, HARRY can barely react in his shock. The AUGUREY sees this and aims a spell at him.

AUGUREY (voice deep and hoarse): Brachiabindo!

HARRY's arms are bound in vicious, luminous cords. He falls to his knees. The AUGUREY enters the bookshop. HARRY struggles to break free.

HARRY: No! Stay away from my family!

HARRY eyes his wand and aims it at his chest.

Emancipare!

The counter-spell falters. Beside HARRY, the glass windows of the bookshop explode. JAMES is holding his own against many of the Tempest, until RODOLPHUS LESTRANGE rises up and pulls JAMES hard onto the table. The violence is surprising. LESTRANGE makes eye contact with HARRY as he Disapparates, taking JAMES with him.