Act 3: Scene 1

DREAM, PLATFORM NINE AND THREE QUARTERS  2017

The curtain rises on the crowded platform, steam blankets the stage from the Hogwarts Express. The scene is familiar. Droves of wizarding families hustle along as reporters and photographers for the Daily Prophet search for HARRY POTTER. Behind them, the walls are coated in wanted posters of PARIAH PRINCE, who we now understand to be the alias of ALBUS POTTER in his thirties — bald and unhinged — the scar of a lightning bolt on his forehead — his recognizable features hidden behind a dark and bushy beard.

GINNY POTTER enters through the barrier. The photographers ready their cameras but are quickly disappointed. Joining GINNY are JAMES, LILY, and ALBUS pushing a cart. The three Potter children look younger, more innocent. HARRY is nowhere to be seen.

JAMES (to ALBUS): Do you even know what that means?

ALBUS: Am I supposed to know?

JAMES (to himself): Hours away from sitting under the Sorting Hat, and this boy is completely unprepared. Good luck growing your hair back.

GINNY chuckles as they come to a stop. ALBUS looks up at the train with anticipation, while JAMES eyes the reporters shiftily.

Bet they're here for Dad.

GINNY pretends not to notice.

ALBUS (wistful): I can't believe he's not here. He promised.

LILY: It's my fault, Al. We aren't supposed to accept owls before breakfast. (beat) Her feathers were just so pretty.

GINNY: They're always pestering him, those reporters. It's a good thing your dad was called away this morning. They would've trampled us to get to him.

ALBUS: I thought he liked all the attention.

GINNY (to ALBUS): Your father? Oh no, Al. He's never cared for that. He would trade it all in an instant for an uneventful life, believe me.

ALBUS stands beside his mum. She lowers herself to his level.

But he's very sorry he couldn't be here to send you off to Hogwarts, dear. Your father's job is pretty complicated. He told me it was... Big Ministry Business.

GINNY's eyes drift to the posters on the wall. The children redirect their gaze.

JAMES: That's why they've come. Someone broke out of Azkaban.

JAMES draws near to one of the posters. The enchanted visage of PARIAH PRINCE snarls at him.

Nasty bastard, isn't he?

GINNY: I beg your pardon!

ALBUS: He does look awfully dangerous.

LILY: Who is he?

GINNY (sighing): I don't know. And James, you were not raised to ridicule the misfortune of others.

JAMES: Sorry, Mum.

LILY: I think he looks sad.

GINNY: Does, doesn't he?

She rubs her daughter's back.

You should feel pity for him, boys. No matter what this man has done, he saw many frightful things in that place.

LILY points out RON, HERMIONE, their son, HUGO, and their daughter, ROSE, who are standing at a distance. The two families join one another to exchange hugs and excited looks.

HERMIONE: Good luck on the Sorting.

ROSE: I hope we get into Gryffindor!

ALBUS (eagerly): Me, too!

JAMES: Just as long as it's not Slytherin.

JAMES bumps his brother as he exits for the train.

RON (with a laugh): They should be so lucky.

ALBUS: Dad would disown me, I think.

GINNY: He would not.

ALBUS: But isn't that the house for wizards who are destined to go bad?

HERMIONE: Of course, it isn't.

ALBUS (to GINNY): But what if I do get Sorted into Slytherin what then?

GINNY ruffles her son's hair. It's a mess, just like HARRY's.

GINNY: Whatever house you get into, Al... it's the right one.

RON: Bye, Rose.

ROSE: Goodbye, Dad. Goodbye, Mum. Goodbye, Aunt Ginny.

GINNY: Bye-bye, darling.

ROSE exits for the train with ALBUS. And then ALBUS turns and hugs GINNY one last time before following after her.

Your father and I love you very much!

GINNY smiles and waves, and then she softly walks away with LILY. A train whistle blares. White steam fills the stage.