Act 1: Scene 22

DIAGON ALLEY — 2020

Months have passed. A new school year is beginning. Lights come up on a charmingly cobbled thoroughfare of impressive wizarding shops – packed with stalwart wizards admiring items through many-paned windows, witches shopping enthusiastically, and a few wild-looking warlocks and raucous dwarfs appearing irritated by the arrival of so many students.

This is magic. This is Diagon Alley.

The Potters enter. Present are HARRY, GINNY, JAMES, and LILY. GINNY is wearing a cloche hat with matching bow. She is trying to look her best, despite the usual mayhem.

GINNY: We are running out of time. James, where's your brother?

JAMES is busy smiling at a girl nearby. ALBUS weaves through the crowd with a grin. He's holding a shiny purple bag. HARRY exhales as he admires the magical world around them.

HARRY: I always loved coming to Diagon Alley. It meant I was leaving Privet Drive and going back to Hogwarts. Which was...well, compared to the Dursley's...

GINNY (to ALBUS): No more wandering off, d'you hear?

HARRY: If it's not too out of the way, I'd like to visit Ollivanders. Need him to look at this new wand.

LILY: Dad! Another wand? Already?

HARRY: Yes, regrettably. This one is just about the worst.

GINNY: At least it doesn't backfire. (beat) I loved those curtains.

JAMES and ALBUS speak in whispers. Peeking into the purple bag, JAMES takes out a seemingly normal comb.

JAMES: This guarantees that she'll notice me? You're sure?

ALBUS (with a wry smile): Ab-so-lutely.

JAMES: I need to find a mirror. Quick.

JAMES slips into a shop called "Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions".

LILY (to ALBUS): What'd you buy? Anything for me?

ALBUS hands the purple bag to his little sister. She squeals.

ALBUS: Use the mirror in Madam Malkin's. James can help you put them on.

The Potters come to a stop outside of the bookseller, "Flourish and Blotts". The wide windows show shelves laden with books and a table with some on display.

HARRY (to GINNY): Flourish and Blotts. Do you want a hand with their course books? I know you like a bargain. There's bound to be used copies near the —

A distracted witch carrying many bags slams awkwardly into GINNY. Her hat goes askew.

GINNY (to HARRY): Listen, I've got quite a lot of shopping to do, and you undoubtedly have Ministry work coming out of your ears, so...

HARRY: Are you mad at me about something?

GINNY: Harry, please — can we just —

HARRY: What's going on?

GINNY (looking shocked): What did you think would happen? We'd hug. I'd tell you I always loved you. What? What?

HARRY: Ginny, I thought we were past all that. What you saw —