Act 2: Scene 1

DREAM, HOGWARTS, HISTORY OF MAGIC CLASSROOM

The curtain rises on a modest classroom. A gothic window stands out at the center of a stone wall. It is dark, scattered moonlight shines onto the floor. It looks deserted, save for two individuals YOUNG HARRY, dressed in Gryffindor robes, and REMUS LUPIN, scarred, forties, tattered clothes. A large case rests beside them atop a cluttered desk.

YOUNG HARRY: How does it work again?

LUPIN: It is a kind of guardian — like a shield between you and the Dementor. A Patronus is a magical charm, a projection of all your most positive feelings. It is a gift of light. If you can conjure a Patronus, you can protect yourself against the darkest parts of your soul. Which, in some of our cases, seems like a necessity sooner rather than later.

YOUNG HARRY: How do I know if it's working?

LUPIN: You will see it manifest, as it takes the shape of the animal with whom you share the deepest affinity. When it works correctly, that is. The incantation will conjure a Patronus only if you are concentrating — with all your might — on a single, very happy memory. You must empty your mind of sorrow, Harry. Of pain. (beat, he clears his throat) Right... are you ready?

YOUNG HARRY: Ready.

YOUNG HARRY changes his stance and raises his wand. LUPIN grasps the lid of the case.

LUPIN: Now, remember. It's only a Boggart.

YOUNG HARRY nods. LUPIN lifts the lid. There's a breathing-out noise. A ragged, hooded figure rises from the box, turns to YOUNG HARRY, and reaches out a skeletal, scabbed hand. The lights flicker, some go out. The Dementor glides out of the box and toward YOUNG HARRY. There is a rattling breath and a rush of cold sweeps through the auditorium. YOUNG HARRY aims his wand, his arm shaking.

YOUNG HARRY (yelling): Expecto patronum!

Beat, nothing happens.

Expecto patronum! Expecto —

GINNY (in a misty voice, from off): No — not my children! Help — AHH — Harry!

The Dementor is getting near, YOUNG HARRY begins to lose balance. LUPIN springs forward.

LUPIN: Riddikulus!

There is a giant whoosh of light. A smash of sound. Then a noise like a shrunken scream. The torn cloak of the Dementor drops to the floor, leaving behind a hovering silvery ball of white. LUPIN aims his wand at the light and it floats back to the open chest. He closes it firmly as YOUNG HARRY falls into an empty chair. LUPIN reaches into his jacket pocket for a slab of chocolate. He breaks off a few pieces and hands one to YOUNG HARRY.

YOUNG HARRY (sounding defeated): Sorry, Professor Lupin.

LUPIN: Here — eat this chocolate before we try again. It'll help.

YOUNG HARRY does so. Though he remains discombobulated. LUPIN eats a piece himself.

Some for me and some for you.

YOUNG HARRY (chewing): I'm so cold.

LUPIN: It'll pass.

He sees YOUNG HARRY rubbing his forehead.

Is your scar hurting?

YOUNG HARRY: Yes. And I heard screaming.

LUPIN: Your mother again — like in the train car?

LUPIN moves back to the desk. He locks the chest. As YOUNG HARRY speaks, LUPIN seems not to hear.

YOUNG HARRY (his voice older, bleaker): No. No, actually. It was my wife — Ginny. They took her, Remus. And the children. I couldn't stop them.

LUPIN smiles softly at YOUNG HARRY and hands him more chocolate.

LUPIN: Eat the lot, or Madam Pomfrey will be after my blood.

YOUNG HARRY grins and pops two bites into his mouth. The scene continues to spool forward automatically, despite YOUNG HARRY's ruminative interruption. The classroom remains darkened. The only real light comes from the milky glow of the gothic window.

You cannot lose yourself to the darker memories, Harry. Take a break. We'll try again.

YOUNG HARRY nods. LUPIN looks at him a second more. He pats YOUNG HARRY on the shoulder and approaches the window. YOUNG HARRY stares after him. LUPIN turns towards the window, his back to the audience.

YOUNG HARRY: I miss this, you know. You may not see it now, but you saved me. I felt so connected to you here. And important — like even though I was so overcome with sadness and fear, you gave me hope. You would have been a great father to Teddy. I tried my best, Remus. With him, I did. And yet, when it came to Albus...

LUPIN: Do you trust me, Harry?

YOUNG HARRY: Yes. With my life.

LUPIN: Good.

The moonlight from the window brightens. LUPIN suddenly spins round to face YOUNG HARRY. He hunches forward, arms hooked. But his face! He looks monstrous, furry, fanged, and snarling. It is the face of a rabid werewolf. With a vicious snarl, he leaps at YOUNG HARRY and latches his savage jaws onto the boy's neck. Together, they crash to the floor with YOUNG HARRY hollering in pain.

Cut to black