Act 1: Scene 20 (continued)

TRANSITION SCENE — WIZARDING VILLAGES

DELPHI runs into the storage shed beside the bakery. HARRY follows, slamming back the door. The space is very tight, there is hardly any room to move. DELPHI looks up at him as the door seals. The stage goes completely dark, including the cupboard.

DELPHI (breathless): Wow, that was intense. Lumos.

Light fills the cramped space, they are standing mere inches apart from one another. HARRY looks down cautiously at the wand that's aimed up at his chin.

HARRY: Watch where you're pointing that thing.

DELPHI: What? This?

Giggling, DELPHI flirtatiously swings back her long, dark brown hair and moves the brightly lit wand closer.

HARRY: I should warn you — I'm armed.

DELPHI: That's the second time you've said that. Threatening me.

HARRY: Only now, I've memorized the proper spell to subdue you.

DELPHI: Is that right?

HARRY (smartly, and with a rasp): Expelliarmus.

DELPHI: Ooh, Harry Potter, you're a positively disarming man.

HARRY (grinning): Stand back.

DELPHI: I would, but there's nowhere to go.

DELPHI inspects the inside walls and shelves of the confined space. It's mostly large bags of flour, metal buckets, and miscellaneous objects. HARRY puts an ear to the wood-slat door. There are muffled noises.

HARRY: So, we... hide in a hole? That's the plan?

DELPHI: As pleasurable as it would be to hide in a hole with you... we might as well get comfortable. That Finch-Fletchley character will find us if we go back out there.

HARRY:  Good thing I don't mind small spaces.

Beat, DELPHI keeps eye contact with HARRY for some time. They just look at one another. Until she smiles sweetly. She gestures to the door.

DELPHI: That felt good, didn't it?

HARRY: It did. It does.

DELPHI: Those people listen to you. So many of them are frustrated because they don't believe in Percy.

HARRY: They're not wrong. I hardly believe in him, myself.

DELPHI: But they believe in Harry Potter. They'd follow you no matter what your message. I think you're becoming quite some speaker, in fact.

HARRY: Honestly, I'm enjoying it.

DELPHI: Well... it suits you.

HARRY: Then you should stick around, encourage me more instead of going into the field.

DELPHI: Maybe I will. You'd be a mess without me.

HARRY: I would. (he laughs) Especially my hair.

DELPHI styles his hair, this time with her hand.

DELPHI: Of course, I'm sticking around. We're friends, aren't we?

HARRY: Yes.

DELPHI: Yes.

HARRY: Definitely friends.