Act 3: Scene 16

GODRIC'S HOLLOW, SAINT JEROME'S GRAVEYARD — VARYING YEARS

Pale moonlight glistens over the headstones of a lonely graveyard. It looks serene and welcoming. Quiet. HARRY trips onto the stage, nearly sideways, wiping tears from his eyes. He drops his glasses, then falls trying to pick them up. He crawls for a moment. He stops.

HARRY (croaking): Here. This is the place, here.

He takes out the Time-Turner. He spins it. There is a jolt of sound and light, and then... HARRY is in a different time. He is shadowed by two statues. One is a man with glasses and wild hair, another is a woman with a gentle smile. And in her arms, a baby boy. It is the Potters' gravestone. HARRY sniffs and spins the Time-Turner again. The atmospheric chaos lasts a bit longer this time.

When it stops, there are two new grave markers on the same stone. HARRY's chest rises and falls as he pockets the Time-Turner. It's present-day Godric's Hollow. He approaches and then sits by the graves of his wife and son, trying hard to fight the emotions as they come to him but succumbing all the same. He reads the shared gravestone.

"Ginny Potter and Albus Potter. Mother and Son."

HARRY swipes the tall grass away from the bottom and reads the epitaph.

"There are all kinds of courage."

HARRY nods. He places a hand on the top of the gravestone. He rises and takes a step back.

You should be the ones standing here, not me. I miss you. I miss you both so much. (beat) I can't believe this has happened. How dark it's gotten. They're hunting me now. Both sides, for different reasons. There's nowhere else I can go. At least you're free of it.

HARRY looks off to the wings.

I saw my dad, at the window. And my mother, she looked beautiful. It's tough to live with people stuck in the past. (beat) Why was I so determined to do this? To fight so hard that I lost sight of what matters most?

Suddenly a familiar owl enters the graveyard TEDDY's owl. It swoops in low and lands on the statue of LILY POTTER.

You! You stubborn, flea-ridden...! How many times must I...?

HARRY swipes a hand at the owl. He slips in the grass. The owl hops down to a lower perch as HARRY regains his balance.

Shoo! Shoo, I said!

He stares at the owl. It bites down on a ragged letter that's covered in blemishes and bobs its head at HARRY.

I don't want to read it! Don't you understand? If I read it, that means he's not coming back!

A gentle choral melody plays as HARRY's shoulders slump. It is accompanied by very slow and simple piano. HARRY finally accepts the letter with a nod. The owl drops the letter. It hoots in relief as it sets off hard away. HARRY opens the letter. Before he can read it, a SOOTHING VOICE is heard.

SOOTHING VOICE (from off): There's no need.

HARRY whirls in place, eyes awkwardly wide. A confused smile forms, but quickly dissipates. HARRY is met by a magnificent-looking ghost who enters between the graves. It is the silvery form of a young man, 20s and handsome the ghost of TEDDY LUPIN.

HARRY (whining): No...

TEDDY: Hi, Dad.

HARRY: Teddy, no!