Act 3: Scene 15

GODRIC'S HOLLOW, JAMES AND LILY POTTER'S HOUSE 1981

A dark lane of dim street lamps leads to a lovely little English home with an overgrown garden and a stone fence. Warmth radiates from the windows and sweet voices can be heard. A young, attractive couple occasionally walks into view. HARRY enters with a wobble. He stumbles over to the house and hides by the garden wall. He is still drunk, but each intense expression bursts forth with real emotion. We can all feel what HARRY feels. It is both heartrending and marvelous.

HARRY notices the couple staring at each other. And at their baby. It's BABY HARRY! He is sitting on the rug. HARRY smiles, spotting the child's loving look at the small broomstick by the hearth. The father, JAMES POTTER, nods and BABY HARRY totters over to the toy broomstick. The boy climbs aboard and flies out of sight. The mother, LILY POTTER, laughs and HARRY laughs as well from the garden. He covers his mouth timidly.

HARRY (softly and with a smile): How am I able to see this? There's a Fidelius Charm concealing the house from view.

HARRY shakes his head, grinning.

Of course. Of course, I was included in the spell. I was a baby at the time, but it's still me. Which means I can see my parents. And I can see the house, still intact.

His expression fractures. HARRY reaches for the Time-Turner. He looks down at it for a while before seeing BABY HARRY zoom into view again on the toy broomstick.

But not for long.

HARRY merely tilts the Time-Turner forward and time shifts. There is a crack of sound, followed by smashes of light and darkness as the scene changes. The top of the house is removed as well as much of the façade. The discord of the time travel settles. And we're seeing the ruins of a house. A house that has undergone a vicious attack. We look upon the devastation with HARRY. The interior is visible yet ravaged by a battle of curses. The body of JAMES POTTER is lying awkwardly on the stairs, unmoving. A green haze emanates from a bedroom on the second floor. We cannot see much. Half of the bedroom wall was removed. The white bars of a child's crib are discernible, but there is no movement. The stage is terribly silent. We can faintly hear HARRY sobbing from the garden. Until...

There is a spurt of sound. A rumbling engine.

A familiar flying motorcycle is landing. Before it sets down, the driver takes off his goggles, gloves, and jacket. He practically rolls off the side as the tires meet the stage in his haste to reach the house. The motorcycle shuts off and HARRY audibly gasps. The man approaching the house is young and handsome, with wavy brown hair. It is SIRIUS BLACK.

HARRY (quietly): Sirius...

SIRIUS (with despair): No... no, no... James! Lily!

The front door is off its hinges. SIRIUS picks up the door and throws it aside. He walks through the ruins at a stupor. Then he hastily pulls something from his pocket and lobs it into the fireplace. There is a violent blaze of fire and light. SIRIUS speaks into the flames.

Godric's Hollow. The home of James, Lily, and Harry Potter... Send help, Professor. Quickly!

SIRIUS wheels in place and starts searching the house. It's then that he notices someone lying on the stairs.

SIRIUS (in more of a scream): JAMES!

SIRIUS hastens to the body of his best friend. He lifts JAMES and presses him to his chest. SIRIUS is trembling as he cups his friend's cheeks. His voice rattles and hitches with the outpouring of his soul.