Act 3: Scene 12 (continued)

KING'S CROSS — DATE UNKNOWN

HARRY prepares himself for the truth, but he seems to already know. His face is pained in the awareness of it.

DRACO: Yes, they went back when Voldemort's forces were invading Hogwarts.

HARRY (unconvinced): So, it was them — the Killing Curse? That's what you're telling me? Our sons tried to kill a defenseless child?

DRACO: That wasn't the intention. They merely planned to move the child from one place to another. To hide her from them.

HARRY: But how could they enter your house in the first place? I thought there was a shield enchantment keeping out those who intend to cause harm.

DRACO: Blood magic. The house trusts the family. (beat) Scorpius opened a vein in his arm and marked Albus on the cheek. They acted quickly. The enchantment was deceived.

HARRY: And then?

DRACO: Aunt Bella left Euphemia Rowle behind to guard the child. She undoubtedly wasn't expecting guests. The boys bewitched her to sleep and proceeded to the secret chamber below the drawing room.

HARRY: But something went wrong.

DRACO strains to lean against the barrier for platform nine. He was injured in the fall.

DRACO: Scorpius and Albus were unable to step beyond the threshold. Voldemort went to great lengths to protect his living Horcrux. There was an extra level of defense guarding the chamber.

HARRY: Which spells did they use?

DRACO: I never knew. Whatever the magic was, it barred them from entry. The boys were mere feet away when they had to turn back. This was too hard to accept for Albus. They had come so far. Scorpius tried to stop him. But your son was... determined.

HARRY's face softens. And for the first time since confronting DRACO, he looks like himself.

HARRY (wearily): Al...

HARRY closes his eyes and leans his head back momentarily. He sips in a deep breath.

How did Voldemort's heir survive the Killing Curse? It couldn't have been love if she was only created to be a vessel for his soul.

DRACO (in a tentative voice): That's the thing, Potter. Scorpius thought... They both thought...

HARRY: That she was dead? Why?

DRACO: It's not as if they could stroll up and give her a tickle.

HARRY: Why not use the Imperius Curse on Euphemia Rowle? Have her take the child.

DRACO: Even if they had thought of it, only three people could enter the bedchamber. Bellatrix, Voldemort, and the master of the estate.

HARRY: Lucius Malfoy.

DRACO nods.

DRACO: My mother and I returned from Hogwarts to find my father on the sofa in the drawing room, cradling the cursed child. She had been saved — and by the same magic that had saved Albus.

HARRY: Saved Albus?

DRACO: The curse, Harry. It rebounded and struck him in the forehead. Both of them were scarred, yet neither died.