Act 2: Scene 4

TRANSITION SCENE

The stage is split — the left half revealing a hallway at the Ministry of Magic and, on the right, a long screen of London at night scrolling horizontally with robed figures sitting upon suspended broomsticks. The lighting fluctuates depending on which figures are speaking.

Yellow-ish lights come up on the hallway where a young man dressed in an Auror robe — gawky, bookish, early twenties — stands alone. This is CRAIG BOWKER JR. He fidgets nervously until PERCIVAL and ETHEL enter. CRAIG stands at attention. PERCIVAL is carrying a large paper bag.

ETHEL: Here he is, Minister. Auror-in-training.

PERCIVAL: Ah. Just the man I was looking for. Name?

CRAIG (skittishly): Craig Bowker Junior, sir. It's an honor to meet you.

PERCIVAL: Yes... yes... I believe I know your father.

CRAIG: You do?

By CRAIG's reaction, we are to assume that his father is a low-level ministry employee. PERCIVAL nods and grins, ready to remind the audience that he is both a politician and a bad liar.

PERCIVAL: Yes... mm... Craig Bowker Senior. Good man. Listen... Bowker... I'm going to need you to do something for me — for the Ministry. We are in quite a kerfuffle. (beat) The Prime Enforcer lives.

On another part of the stage, HARRY and DELPHI appear amongst the group that sails over London, holding tight to their brooms. Gabled roofs, treetops, and spires occasionally glide across the stage beneath them. DELPHI's broom sails her closer to HARRY's. DELPHI and HARRY look at each other.

DELPHI: You had me worried. I thought... I thought we'd lost you.

HARRY (quietly, as if to himself): Maybe you have. I've never felt more lost in my life. (with a look to DELPHI) They're going to be okay, right? Tell me they will be and I'll believe you.

DELPHI: Of course, Harry. We won't let any harm come to them.

HARRY: Thank you, Delphi. I don't know what I would do without you.

HARRY looks at her and then at the sky over London. Suddenly, there is a deep frown on his face. DELPHI follows his gaze. A glittery cloud of greenish smoke looms before the group, growing slightly larger by the minute. Opposite them, the conversation at the Ministry continues.

CRAIG (wheezing in surprise): Harry Potter is alive, sir? But... the...

PERCIVAL: Killing Curse, yes. Wicked business. Only a few of us were aware, but Potter lives to fight another day — and fight he shall. I just commanded that he rejoin efforts to retrieve my sister and I want you to accompany him. Yours, however, is a secret mission. Are you up to the challenge? Can your Minister count on you?

CRAIG: Of course, sir — Clearwater — sir.

PERCIVAL: Good lad. This is top secret, Bowker. Tip top. But I think you're just the man. Hence, I am left with one question. How accurate is your throwing arm?

Back to the sky over London. What first appeared as a sparkling green mist forms to resemble a new constellation. And then it is visible. Rising ever higher is a sinister-looking bird of emerald stars within a hazy cloud. HARRY looks at it, concerned. The bird flaps its wings slowly. SHACKLEBOLT joins HARRY and DELPHI at the front.