Act 1: Scene 19

MINISTRY OF MAGIC, ELVISH WELFARE OFFICES

HARRY enters a cramped and busy waiting room. He looks around himself. The sign on the door he closes reads ELVISH WELFARE DIVISION. On the ground are yellow arrows directing the way. In the same color yellow are many signs that read such things as, "Wait Your Turn" and "No Eating" and "Don't Be A Nuisance" and "No Socks, No Shirt, No Problem". HARRY sidesteps down a thin aisle between five rows of small, wooden chairs. They are almost entirely filled with short house-elves. The rest of the seats are taken by a few bitter-faced wizards and witches who look very uncomfortable and unwilling to accept change, their gazes malicious, their mouths moving endlessly with rancorous muttering. HARRY tentatively approaches the counter and takes a number from the ticket dispenser. There is nowhere to sit.

HARRY looks down at his ticket, then up at the numbers on the mechanical flip card display on the wall. The dull number on the right flips down, going from 106 to 107. A house-elf dressed in an old pillowcase practically leaps out of her chair and races to the counter. HARRY takes the open seat, finding himself squished between two house-elves, one of whom is wiggling eagerly.

A familiar voice is heard. It's HERMIONE WEASLEY. She walks out, holding a clipboard. HARRY looks at HERMIONE.

HERMIONE (her eyes down): Now serving number one hundred and... (she bumps into the excited elf and smiles) Oh, there you are. Follow the yellow arrows behind me. You'll be in booth nine. Someone will be along shortly to assist you.

HERMIONE steps aside as the house-elf skips along the path of yellow arrows. She looks up and sees HARRY hidden in the crowd.

Harry! What are you doing here?

He shrugs and holds up his ticket. Giggling, she waves him over. HARRY follows HERMIONE behind the counter and into her office. It is incredibly organized. All available wall space is lined with bookshelves. There is a radiant iron chandelier overhead that dances with magical light. HERMIONE sits at her desk and gets back to work, glancing up occasionally.

HARRY: Sorry to drop-in unexpectedly.

HERMIONE: Is this about Robespierre? I did warn you, he can be a handful.

HARRY: No, he's brilliant. We're more than happy to provide room and board.

HERMIONE: That's such a big help, Harry. I can't even tell you. Freedom is one challenge, homelessness is another. And getting funding for a shelter is problematic as long as Percy is holding the purse strings. But don't dare question his defense budget, oh no. (her volume raises) We need experimental weaponry "just in case"! I can only take on so much of the burden. We have thirteen house elves living with us as it is. Ron's at his wit's end.

HARRY: I'll ask Ginny if we can lighten the load for a few months. We certainly have space with all three kids in school...

HARRY trails off, looking distant.

I was there last night, you know.

HERMIONE: Where? Hogwarts?

HARRY (nodding): Albus and that Malfoy kid jumped the Hogwarts Express and went gallivanting through the Forbidden Forest. What an embarrassment. A Potter in Slytherin House.

HERMIONE: It's been years, Harry. I think you're putting too much emphasis on what house he was Sorted in. It doesn't mean anything.

HARRY: That's not what we used to think.