Act 2: Scene 18

HARRY POTTER'S HOUSE

The Master Bedroom is brighter now, the sun is rising. HARRY wakes with a shock.

HARRY (groggily): Ginny, I had the worst nightmare. I was

HARRY reaches over to be consoled by his wife. He tries to grab her hand, but her side of the bed is empty. This absentminded realization hurts HARRY deeply as he pulls back the covers, puts on his glasses, and gets out of bed. HARRY is in a horrible state — petrified by what he thinks his dreams are telling him. But all this goes away when he steps into the hallway to see that his son's bedroom door is open.

It's ALBUS. He's gone. And HARRY does not look surprised.

We watch as time passes in the movement of light across the stage while HARRY is sitting at the top of the stairs, looking miserable. There is the sound of an approaching motorcycle from off. The engine dies and the front door opens. HAGRID enters, his massive frame taking up the entryway.

HAGRID: Sorry ter barge in. Brought yeh some soup, but...

He holds out a half-empty tureen. The other half is scattered across HAGRID's jacket.

...'fraid I mighta spilled some 'long the way. Al cleaned off two bowls o' this soup, last I made some. Heard he got sent home, so...

HARRY is unresponsive. HAGRID looks uncomfortable standing at the bottom of the stairs.

Where is the lad? Thought the pair o' yeh might need some cheerin' up.

HARRY: Thank you, Hagrid. But we had an awful row last night. He's run off.

HAGRID: Well, I'm sure he don' mean what he said ter yeh.

HARRY: Albus blames me for what happened to Ginny.

HAGRID: Does, does he?

HAGRID looks suddenly concerned.

Yeh don' think he'd try doin' summat 'bout tha' now, do yeh?

HARRY: Given the chance, he'd do anything to have her back. So would I.

HAGRID frowns to himself at a poor decision made.

HAGRID (sluggishly): I was worried 'bout tha'. I shouldn'a said anythin'...

HARRY looks at HAGRID — then at the Weasley family clock, still in the center of the living room. A ticking begins. An incessant, dangerous ticking.

HARRY: What did you tell him?

HAGRID: I was only tryin' ter cheer 'im up. Give the lad some hope, an' all.

HARRY (firmer): What did you tell him, Hagrid?

HAGRID: It was at the funeral, when yeh were goin' at each other. He stormed off, an tha'. Well, I... mighta mentioned tha' Time-Turner o' yers.

HARRY moves so quickly that he stumbles up the stairs on his hands and knees. He rushes to the Master Bedroom and to the portrait of his parents. HARRY pulls down the frame and opens the safe. He paws at the inside and stops. He looks off, horrified.

His eyes are distant as he slowly gets his things and makes his way down the stairs. HARRY faces HAGRID and holds out an open hand.

HARRY: Keys.

HAGRID is hesitant. He doesn't know how to manage such a strange request. Then he sheepishly reaches into his soup-covered jacket and hands over a set of keys. HARRY claws at them impatiently and leaves through the front door. We then hear the engine to the motorcycle come alive. The jarring sound rumbles angrily through the auditorium. Gradually, the noise dampens and we are to assume that HARRY is either riding or flying away.

ROBESPIERRE enters from the kitchen.

HAGRID (half-smiling): Soup?

The former house-elf approaches the tureen. He smells it and looks askance at HAGRID's soiled jacket.

ROBESPIERRE: Please don't take offense, but my appetite for pumpkin is not what it used to be.

Hagrid lowers the tureen and looks back at the front door.

Fade to black