Act 2: Scene 8 (continued)

HARRY POTTER'S HOUSE

HARRY: I didn't notice you were here.

HARRY hugs DUDLEY's wife, JUNE DURSLEY. They kiss cheeks.

Sorry, June... about all the magic.

JUNE DURSLEY: It's fine, Harry. I knew what I was getting into when I married your cousin.

A long moment of silence passes, it is hard to know what to say.

DUDLEY DURSLEY (quickly, but stunted): The funeral was very...

HARRY: It was.

JUNE DURSLEY: Ginny was loved. I wish I got to spend more time with her.

HARRY's face sinks. He does, too.

You'll let us know, won't you — if there is anything we can do to help? Bring the kids by.

HARRY: I might take you up on that.

JUNE DURSLEY: We'd be delighted to spend some quality time with them. Wouldn't we, Dudley?

DUDLEY DURSLEY: Yes, delighted.

HARRY (hesitating): Might be nice. I'm needed at the Ministry, but I don't want them out of my sight.

He makes eye contact with LILY, who smiles at him as she sits to join the others around GEORGE. HARRY's grief is overwhelming.

They tell me change can bring a family together. Robespierre stepped up to watch over the kids, but with all he's been through, I don't want the poor elf to feel like it's required of him. I could bring them to their grandparents, but, for some reason, I — I'd like to keep them away from magic for a while. Of course, no one here would understand that feeling. Except you. Honestly, I don't even know if I understand why I feel that way.

DUDLEY DURSLEY: Then you have your answer, Harry. There's no better place than the Dursley's. You should know.

HARRY (nodding): Still at number four, Privet Drive?

DUDLEY DURSLEY: Still. Mum and Dad retired to a cottage in the middle of... somewhere. (he laughs) Gave us the house, said it was the perfect place to raise a family... but then — well, when we learned we couldn't...

DUDLEY and JUNE briefly lock eyes, revealing their own grief.

JUNE DURSLEY: As I said, it would be nice to have the kids over.

The mood shifts as HAGRID lumbers toward them. DUDLEY tenses up and the two exchange glances. HARRY can't help but grin. The moment passes faster than it appeared.

DUDLEY DURSLEY: Right, then. You know how to find us.

HARRY: I do.

JUNE DURSLEY: Please. Don't hesitate to ask.

JUNE places a hand on HARRY's cheek.

HARRY: Okay.

JUNE DURSLEY: Anytime, really. Even tomorrow. We want to help.

HARRY: I'll call you. Promise.

DUDLEY gives one last, cautionary look to HAGRID before exiting with JUNE through the front door. HAGRID sits down uncomfortably next to HARRY, who smiles at him. They are now the same height.

HAGRID: Had somewhere to go, did he? Tha' one's 'bout as Muggle as they come.

HARRY: Dudley probably thought you'd give him horns this time.