Act 4: Scene 6

HOGWARTS, FORBIDDEN FOREST YEAR 3

RON and HERMIONE are walking through the trees, padding their pockets with Hippogriff feathers. There is a series of small flashes and rumbles coming from the back of the auditorium. HARRY appears in the aisles. He walks up to the stage. As he passes, some black robes arise around people. Black robes that become black shapes. That become dementors. They hover and glide as a very deep and ominous aria is sung from a place unseen — sedately, stealthily.

RON: That statement is not entirely accurate. I was an excellent student.

HERMIONE: You were moderate to average.

RON (irritably): That's not fair, is it? I mean... Compared to you, everyone's moderate to average.

HERMIONE: You say that as if it's not a compliment.

HARRY joins them. The dementors continue to advance inconspicuously.

HARRY: All right then, Ron?

RON: Good. You're back.

HERMIONE looks HARRY up and down, uncertain of him and his motives.

HARRY: Yeah. Thanks for that.

RON: I was just thinking, we all should've gone. I missed out on the grand escape first time round, stuck up there in the hospital wing.

HERMIONE: It's after midnight. That took longer than I expected.

There is a moment of silence between the three of them. RON looks back and forth between HARRY and HERMIONE.

RON: Am I missing something?

HARRY: Anything you want to ask me, Hermione?

HERMIONE: Yes. One question.

She points to the auditorium.

Where...?

HERMIONE freezes. RON and HARRY follow her gaze. They stumble toward one another and reach for their wands.

RON: There are dementors everywhere. They've tracked you.

HERMIONE: We need to find shelter. We're horribly exposed.

RON: Let's get down to the water.

HARRY: Walk. Don't run.

They take only a few steps before coming to an abrupt stop. RON points to the auditorium.

RON: Too late.

HERMIONE: We need to use the Time-Turner again — get out of here —

HARRY reaches into his pocket and brings it out. The Time-Turner is acting up. More than before.

HARRY: Slight problem.

RON: Strange. It's like it's gotten —

HERMIONE: Worse.

She glares at HARRY.

Harry, did you use the Time-Turner without us?

He isn't responding.

Answer me.

RON: Forget it. There's no time.

HERMIONE can sense the deception. She looks utterly betrayed.