Act 2: Scene 8 (concluded)

HARRY POTTER'S HOUSE

HARRY charges ALBUS, startling the mourners. HARRY grabs his son by the shirt and yanks him close.

HARRY: Where have you been?

ALBUS looks at his dad, surprised but defiant. What does he have to say? He decides not to engage. SCORPIUS stands close as HARRY shakes his best friend. We've never seen HARRY like this. No one has.

We buried your mother! Where did you go? Answer me!

ALBUS: I was there for the funeral.

HARRY: But you weren't there when we buried her. It was me and James and Lily and Robe. You were just... missing...

ALBUS: I didn't know there was going to be anything else.

HARRY releases his son with a shudder.

HARRY: Why are you acting this way, like it's just another afternoon? She's gone! Forever!

ALBUS: Don't you think I know that?!

ALBUS takes a step into the room, a step closer to SCORPIUS.

Maybe I wanted to be with my best friend.

HARRY (breathing heavily): Your mother died, and you would rather spend the day with a Malfoy. (he looks disgusted) You've put so much shame on this family.

ALBUS: What can I say? I was bound to rebel at some point.

HARRY: How dare you! How dare you embarrass me and keep me waiting, worrying, and then not apologize for it!

HERMIONE steps forward, treading carefully, trying to intercede.

HERMIONE: Harry, don't.

HARRY: No, I'm his father. He will not treat me like this.

ALBUS: I didn't choose, you know that? I didn't choose to be your son.

ARTHUR: Albus. Apologize.

ALBUS: No, Pop. No, I won't.

SCORPIUS: Maybe we should come back later.

HARRY (to ALBUS): Absolutely not. I forbid you to leave the house.

ALBUS: Hear that, Scorpius? I'm forbidden.

ALBUS looks at HARRY and backs out of the room toward the front door. HAGRID enters from the kitchen. He stands in the middle of the doorway.

HAGRID: What'd I miss? Only left this room three minutes ago!

HERMIONE: Harry, stop. Al, don't leave. Maybe you two should speak privately.

ALBUS: And say what, Aunt Hermione? There's nothing I can say — nothing I can say to anyone — unless it's the wrong thing, of course...

HARRY: No, maybe he's right. He should leave — and then come back here with a fresh head. Alone.

ALBUS snickers at this. He reaches for the doorknob, but they hear a knock on the door. It's already opening. In walks DELPHI, holding a vase of flowers. The room is silent. DELPHI looks at HARRY's hurt face.

DELPHI (timidly): I couldn't work out which Floo to travel to. Ended up in Barcelona somehow.

ALBUS: What's she doing here?