Act 3: Scene 10

NUMBER TWELVE, GRIMMAULD PLACE

The dark vision of a shabby, moonlit square comes into view as the imposing wall of the previous scene turns 180 degrees. The rear of the wall now makes up three tall and identical derelict houses. Above the black doors are the numbers eleven, twelve, and thirteen. Number Twelve is particularly dilapidated, with grime-coated windows.

Standing very still in the square are HARRY and DELPHI, eyes on the buildings. It begins to snow.

DELPHI: The Fidelius Charm is in effect. I can only see numbers eleven and thirteen.

HARRY (tepid): It's there.

DELPHI: And you inherited this house from your uncle? Sirius Black?

HARRY: Yes, though I had no need for it. Ginny... (beat) She didn't think it was the right place to raise Teddy and start a family. So, when a Lestrange squib wanted to purchase it, I transferred the ownership. She had a young child and... I thought I was doing a good deed for a desperate person. But now I know they were just using me.

DELPHI: How so?

HARRY: Rodolphus Lestrange escaped from Azkaban shortly after. And this is why I couldn't find him all these years. Or Pariah Prin —

HARRY stops himself. He looks up at the moon, suddenly morose.

They were here, in the one place I'd never look.

DELPHI: Are you sure you want to go in there alone?

HARRY: I need to. Even if... You know, for the first time, I'm a little afraid.

DELPHI: You shouldn't be. From what I saw — with how you wielded that wand.

They both look down at VOLDEMORT's wand in HARRY's hand.

HARRY: I'm so confused. There has to be some part of Voldemort left inside of me! It can't have been me you saw. I couldn't do this. I wouldn't, or at least... I think I wouldn't. Delphi, what does it mean, if I'm capable of doing that? Of using an Unforgivable Curse?

DELPHI: From my recollection, it was you who once used the Imperius Curse to gain access to Gringotts.

HARRY: That was a different time. We were at war. I needed to stop Voldemort and protect our people.

DELPHI: And in that alley, you were protecting me.

DELPHI takes HARRY by the hand.

Harry, spells are deemed unforgivable by those who want to guilt you into never using them. You were wise enough twenty years ago to make up your own mind. Trust in yourself. You would only do so again if the reason were just.

HARRY: But when is there ever a justification to kill?

HARRY approaches the three houses. He mounts the stone steps. DELPHI seems to lose sight of him.

DELPHI: Harry! I'm here for you. Auror's privilege.

HARRY (muted): Auror's privilege.

HARRY taps the battered front door with VOLDEMORT's wand. The auditorium is filled with metallic clicks and clattering chains until, with a great creak, the door to Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place swings open.

The entire building facade wall separates at the center to reveal a very dark, high-ceilinged hallway with peeling wallpaper and a cobweb-covered chandelier. As HARRY takes a careful step, a series of sputtering, old-fashioned gas lamps come alive with an ominous hissing sound. It is not enough to brighten the many shadows of the long and eerie space. HARRY tilts his head cautiously as he progresses toward a darkened staircase. He comes to a stop at a pair of moth-eaten curtains. He retreats a step and raises his wand. He takes another step back. And then we see why