I didn't mean that (33)

"GOODBYE MISS Y/N!! FEEL FREE TO COME BACK ANY TIME!! THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING US!!!" Various villagers yelled out things along those lines as they waved at me. I turned back around  to give everyone one final wave. I chuckled to myself as I threw the bag of coins in my backpack, this was a really successful mission, I hadn't had fun like that in a long time.

I've only been gone from the guild four days, but I already miss everyone. I strolled though the forest taking in the odd sound of silence, there weren't any screaming children, no loud fights, no rushing vehicles, hell, no insects. The kind of sound you'd only find in the middle of nowhere, the sound of your breathing and the quiet tapping of feet.

I smiled to myself as I had a moment to myself, I couldn't remember the last time I had that. Just me, and my thoughts. Ironically I was pulled out of my thoughts the second I thought that, I noticed a small fiery red flower on a bush. It was just sitting there, the rest of the flowers were either white or a light pink, it was odd.

I'd be lying if I didn't think of a certain pink haired dragon slayer when I picked the flower, my heart just picked up thinking about him. I had fallen so hard, hadn't I? I smelled the flower with a big goofy love stuck grin on my face, lord everything I saw reminded me of him.

I twirled the flower around in my hand, gripping it tightly. I felt a sing of pain shoot though my body and I dropped the flower in instinct, I looked down at my palm to see a small drop of blood slide down it. I hissed slightly as I ripped off a piece of my shirt as wrapped it around my hand. Stupid flower.

I picked the flower back up, looking at one of its thorns shining red in the sunlight, I guess I was too distracted by the beauty to notice the thorns. I didn't think much off it and put the flower back in my bag, I still thought it was really pretty.

The sounds of modern life quickly filled my ears as I got closer to town, the distant sounds of cars screeching along the road, people laughing in cafes and the odd crying baby slowly grew louder and louder.

I took in the familiar sights as I walked along a stone path, that I've seemingly walked along thousands of times. I waved at some men in their boat as the paddled along. "Hello Y/N!! Did the mission go well?!" They yelled out, as they waved.

"IT WENT GREAT THANKS!!" I yelled back (probably a bit too loud) as I continued on my way. I muttered the odd 'hello' or 'how are you' to strangers as I passed them on the street.

I sudden familiar voice cut through the sound of the town. "Natsu, you're just overthinking things!!" Lucy.

"I AM NOT!!" A smile graced my lips when I heard the oh so familiar voice... Natsu.

"Natsu... She's been gone four days, you need to chill out." She responded in a calmer voice. I looked up at Lucy's window, I didn't realise I was so close to her apartment. 

"That's two more days than she said she would be!!" He huffed in anger, I slowly walked up the stairs outside her apartment, preparing to knock on her door. I was cut off when Natsu yelled something else out. "She's so selfish!! She just decided to take more time without telling anyone!!" 

How dare he.

"I'M SELFISH?!" I boomed as I quite literally kicked down Lucy's door. "God forbid I want to take some time off and enjoy myself!" I spat at him as I walked into the silent apartment. Natsu was shocked for two reasons.

One: I just showed up so suddenly

Two: I was rarely genuinely mad at him, when I yelled it was usually just flirting in a battle.

 He suddenly snapped out of his daze as his eyes filled with rage. "I WAS WORRIED SICK!! GOD KNOWS WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED!"

"ARE YOU SAYING IM WEAK!?" He didn't outright say it, but I knew that was what he was thinking.

"I'm just going to go..." Lucy quietly whispered as she grabbed her keys and ran out of the apartment before she got stuck in our fight.

"T- that's not what I meant!" He deeply sighed as he ran a hand through his spiky hair. "A girl like yourself out by herself-" I cut him off before he could finish.

"SO IT'S BECAUSE I'M A GIRL, HUH??"  His eyes went wide as he realised what he was saying, I knew he would never say, let alone mean something like that... but I was just mad. "If dating me is such as issue for you, maybe you should go date Gray! At least you won't have to worry about HIM."

"WELL, I'M SORRY FOR CARING ABOUT YOUR SAFETY!!" He snapped back at me, we were both just getting madder and madder. This was our first actual fight, at least as a couple.

"I'M SORRY FOR CARING ABOUT YOU!!" I didn't mean that.

I didn't mean that.

I didn't mean that.

"I'm not." His voice was barely above a whisper, but thanks to dragon senses, I could still hear him.

"Don't lie to me." I spat at him, he was shocked that I heard him.

"W-what?" He knew he wasn't lying to me, he really did care for me... deeply.

"Say you love me." I knew he wasn't ready to drop the 'L bomb' but I was just sick of it. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. He just stood there and slowly looked away. "T-That's what I t-thought." I choked out as I felt my eyes slowly starting to well up with tears.

"Y-Y/N! Wait! Just listen!" He called out, but it was too late. I was already gone.

He sighed deeply and whispered to himself. "I love you." Before he kicked Lucy's bedside table in anger, not caring about what he was destroying.

Why couldn't love be easy? Why can't my life just be like all of the stories I read. That night as I sobbed quietly under my covers, I found myself wondering if being with him was really worth it. I pulled my covers up closer to me, snuggling in this artificial warmth I had created. Were we really meant to be together? Or were we doomed to be Enemies at heart?