Chapter 4: Recollection

After our strange reunion, Nate and I stood back up on our feet. I walked over and picked my scythe from the ground. The crowd saw what had happened and stared at the confusion. Even Lilith and the others were astonished to see what had happened. The crowd began to murmur at what happened. They didn't know what to think.

"They're all staring at us." I said looking around.

"Hold on a minute." Nate said brushing off the tears. "Rangers, these are not enemies, this is a long-lost friend that has been gone for fifteen years." Everyone stared at the both of us. I don't think they were buying it in the slightest. The bridge I had come from had lowered after a while of convincing. I still felt that the crowd wasn't exactly won yet, but all I could really do was leave it in Nate's hands. "Please, follow me, I need to talk to you." Nate said leading me forward. We walked passed the cell that had held us captive. The guards were unlocking the door, and the others were eager to be released. Lilith looked at me concerned. I gave a reassuring smile and continued on. After a short walk, Nate and I made our way into a large building, made from bones, which made me shudder a little bit. I was seated across from Nate on an old table that looked like it was ready to crack at any moment. Nate sat down on the opposite side. He took a deep breath and began asking questions. "What happened to you? I thought that you had died!"

"Too many times." I replied. "But I get the feeling I know what you're talking about."

"If you're alive, what happened fifteen years ago?" Nate asked.

"To be honest, I still don't have a clear picture." I admitted. "All I know is that I was with my parents, but then something took them away. I can't remember anything past that point."

"But I was told that your entire family was killed!" Nate said intently.

"That's only been one of the rumors spread around." I replied. "After the incident, I was lost, and with both my parents gone, I didn't know what to do or who to turn to."

"What about me?" Nate asked.

"I didn't know how to reach you." I said a bit embarrassed. "To be honest, I couldn't even remember your name until just now." Nate gave a grim look, then looked back at me.

"What about Chayna and William?" Nate proceeded.

"William and Chayna?" I questioned. I put my hand to my head, trying to pull anything that I might have heard of those names. "I'm remembering very little on those two." Nate looked at me concerningly.

"How much do you remember of me?" Nate asked. I struggled to remember from my childhood. I had wanted to push the past out of my mind, and now, it was causing me to forget my friends. I felt like the worst friend in the world.

"All I can really remember," I said, "Was that you were with me for ten years of my life. Maybe Chayna and William were too, but I just can't seem to remember."

"Chayna and William were there as well." Nate confirmed. "We were your caretakers for thirteen years." It was coming back to me, piece by piece.

"That's right!" I said remembering. "My parents had hired the three of you to be my caretakers since I was four years old! Have you heard anything of them!?"

"No, I haven't been in touch with either of them ever since we stopped being your caretakers." Nate said shaking his head. I slouched back down in my seat, a bit disappointed.

"What happened to you?" I asked. "Why did you become the leader of bandits?" Nate got the same grim look on his face.

"It's been the only way I've been surviving." Nate responded. "Ever since our village was destroyed, I had to learn to fend for myself. But it wasn't easy in the slightest, and I regret doing what I've done, but I just can't seem to find any other way."