Chapter 9: Ayah

I awoke from the evening with Ayah still on my chest, just like last night. Ayah was still asleep, enjoying her rest. Now that it was day and I got a good look, I could see that Ayah's fur was silver for the most part, with the exception being her white face and her red furred ears and red tipped tail. The remains of the egg from last night were on my legs, cracked and in small pieces. As I moved my legs to get the egg off, Ayah began to stir.

"Daddy?" Ayah said sleepily. "Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is okay." I replied quietly. "You can keep sleeping if you want to."

"Alright Daddy." Ayah yawned. Ayah quickly drifted back into sleep. I figured now would be the best time to get up. I took Ayah into my arms and stood myself up. After shaking the rest of the egg shell off my legs, I looked over the guardrail to see the sun rising above the land. I took a deep breath in and made my way towards the door. After opening it up, I went down the stairs to the third floor. Some of the others were waking up. I saw Kathrin laying down by a window opening. Lilith and Sarah were up and enjoying a talk with each other over a Magikarp sushi breakfast. Carinthia was barely beginning to stir. Before I could go and introduce them to Ayah, I felt something hit my leg. I looked down and saw Mark and Knud both excited to see who I had in my arms.

"Who do you have there?" Knud asked trying to see Ayah. Mark looked at Knud with a soft scold, but turned back towards me, quickly disregarding that Knud had stolen his question. I folded my legs and sat down.

"This is Ayah." I replied showing them the Fennekin sleeping in my arms.

"Well congratulations, you're a father." Mark said looking me in the eyes. I squirmed a little bit, but I restrained myself as much as I could to not awaken Ayah.

"Yeah," I said a bit uncomfortably. "I guess I am."

"Oh boy! I wonder what Ayah likes doing." Knud said energetically.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." I said. "But I think it's best if we just let her rest for now. We both had an emotional rollercoaster last night."

"Anyway, just out of curiosity, why did you name her Ayah?" Mark asked.

"Because she's our little miracle." I said looking down at Ayah. My Arceus, I couldn't have made that cheesier if I tried. I was making it sound like I was the biological parent to Ayah. Ayah began to stir over our talk. She blinked her eyes open and saw Knud and Mark in front of her.

"She's awake!" Knud said energetically.

"That she is Knud." Mark replied.

"Who... are these two?" Ayah asked still waking up.

"The Leafeon is Mark, and the Eevee is Knud." I replied introducing the two. Ayah looked at the two in confusion, then let out a large yawn. Some fire flew out of Ayah's red tipped ears as she yawned. I flinched a little bit, surprised by the reaction. Mark and Knud stared as if this was completely natural. "Do all Pokémon learn to speak their language at birth?" I asked.

"Yeah, when we come into the world, we already know the language fluently." Mark replied. "It's to make sure we don't misunderstand each other."

"That's strange." I said. "When I had to learn the language from my parents, it seemed to be different from the rest."

"Well who were your parents?" Mark asked. I tried to search my memories for their names, but I had pushed it too far back to remember.

"I can't remember." I said struggling.

"Do you have amnesia?" Knud asked curiously.

"No, not technically, at least, I don't think so." I replied.