Chapter 24: Acceptance

(Raiden)

I helped my bro back to a local inn that they've been staying in for the past few days. That Noivern, Calin almost got what was coming to him. Thalia had to stop me before I delivered a single Thunder Punch to his face. After then, I had to vent my frustration somehow, so I ended up striking a nearby vase which in hind sight was not the best plan. Before anyone could see what I did, I bolted out of there in a flash, hoping to not get caught. I really hope Thalia doesn't get upset for leaving her behind. It was Sarah who ended up finding Caius' "daughter," which completely puzzled me when it was the same Fennekin that decided to play tag with him. After we all got to the inn, Caius adamantly refused to take the room for free anymore. I guess he had been staying here for a while, but the owner somewhat stubbornly accepted the money, and we went up to the room. Everyone else was already in there, including Thalia. She sent me a glare and I admitted my own defeat. She told me that she had to stay behind and make sure that the mess was cleaned up and pay for the troubles. I shrank up a little bit and tried to shrug it off. After I was sure that Thalia was done, I regained my composure and sat Caius down. We needed to have some bro talk, especially after three-hundred years.

"So how's life been treating you bro?" I asked.

"Wish I could say fair." Caius replied. "It doesn't help when you have other Pokémon breathing down your neck."

"I could tell from the conference that you and Zekrom don't get along well." I said setting my sheath on the ground.

"We don't exactly see eye to eye." Caius replied a bit annoyed. "He's always on about "perfection this" or "perfection that." He's going to have to learn that eventually perfection isn't a possible feat."

"It's in his genes." I said. "Not much you can do there but let time tell him."

"He's right Caius." Sarah said. "Especially for him, it's best to let time and logic tell him the truth. You won't be able to force your reason into his."

"Well I wish I could do that." Caius grumbled. "Then maybe we could have a place without so much chaos."

"Caius, there are things in life to where they are just out of control, there's not much we can really do about it except live on with it and hope that they turn out better." I counseled. "But enough on that subject, what I really want to know is why that Fennekin over there calls you her father." Caius sighed over my question.

"It's ... a rather difficult story." Caius explained. He told me everything that happened in Ai. When he was rescued by a Leafeon named Mark, and eventually, the death of a Delphox named Alvar. The death was really something I wasn't expecting. I had thought that he had finally settled down and found that special someone, but I guess that wouldn't be all true with the war. He continued on with the story, saying how after this Fennekin, Ayah, had hatched, he thought he found a way to end the corruption and false rumors of Ai by taking down their governor, Lofn, who had apparently harbored a long ... lustful, relationship with Caius ever since he first started his mission three-hundred years ago. When I heard of my brother's disappearance at that time, I wanted so bad to kill the first thing I saw. When he finished telling me the story, I felt like he wasn't telling me everything. Even his poor attempts at hiding his left arm made this concerning. I felt that the story and his arm were connected, but also felt he didn't want to talk about it, at least, not in public.

"I see." I observed. "That would make more sense than what I thought."

"Well, what did you think?" Caius asked.

"Well, I thought that you had... you know." It took a second for Caius to get what I was saying, but when he did, I saw him shift a little bit.

"No, nothing like that." Caius confirmed.