Chapter 13: An Unlikely Ally

Fifteen-miles. That's all it took before I had to take a break. The pain in my arm was getting worse and worse, it spread to my shoulder as well. We stopped momentarily so that I could sit myself down and try and use Recover to dull the pain. It went well, although the process was slow. I didn't want to end up messing up and breaking something in my new arm, so I was as careful as possible when I used Recover. After fifteen minutes, I pulled myself back up to my feet and we continued on. As we got further and further away from Ai, the feeling that I was making a mistake grew stronger and stronger. We walked ten more miles before I had to use Recover again.

"Let's just call this good for the night." Carinthia said. "I'm getting tired and I don't want to keep stopping."

"Alright." Sarah said. "We'll camp here for the night, then continue on tomorrow morning."

"I don't think we could have stayed awake long enough to make it all the way to Adom anyways." Kathrin said yawning.

"I'll stay awake." I said. "I'm going to need to if I want to stop the pain in my arm."

"Just don't stay up all night." Lilith said. I didn't respond, I just sat down and started focusing on my arm. Carinthia walked over towards me.

"You'll probably want something to eat." Carinthia said digging through the satchel. She pulled out a small pokénilla bar and handed it to me. "I'm sorry Caius, but when we are done with this, then we can think about what to do with Ayah."

"She won't forgive me." I said calmly.

"Now hush." Carinthia said. "If I know one thing about girls, it's that they always forgive." I gave Carinthia a smile before using my mouth to open up the pokénilla bar.

"You have a good night Carinthia." I said calmly.

"Wake me up when you can't stay awake and I'll take over." Carinthia said. Carinthia walked over a short distance and went off into sleep. I took a bite from the bar and set it down on my lap. I turned my head to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary. When I was certain that nothing was wrong, I closed my eyes and started to focus on my arm. As I concentrated on my arm for a couple of hours, I could feel myself getting more and more tired by the minute. The pain was gone, but I wanted to focus as much as I could to help prepare for when it came back. As I focused, I could feel myself falling in and out of sleep, catching myself before I would fall over. The only thing keeping me awake, was pretty much the cold and how uncomfortable I was. I couldn't handle staying up anymore. I opened up my eyes and looked up at the moon. It had seemed that about six hours had passed. I began to rise, and I stumbled my way over to Carinthia.

"Carinthia." I said quietly while shaking her. "Carinthia, I need you to take over." Carinthia slowly opened her eyes and looked at me.

"Alright, just give me a minute." Carinthia grumbled. "How's the arm doing?"

"Better, but I can barely keep my eyes open." I said drowsily.

"Take it easy. I'll take the shift from here." Carinthia said. As I stumbled back over to where I was, I laid down right next to where I was sitting. As I reached for the bar to finish it off, all I felt was the plastic around it. As I grabbed it and pulled it up to take a bite out of it, I noticed it was completely gone. Was I that hungry that I ate it without even noticing? I crumbled the wrapper and stuffed it inside my cloak. After then, I turned onto my back and looked up at the stars. Even though I had my cloak, I still felt like I was freezing cold. It was a bit difficult trying to sleep, but I shut my eyes and tried my best. It was no use, the cold was too much, and the ice wasn't helping at all. I was about to take the ice out and set it somewhere on my cloak, but then I felt something cover my body. It was warm, and felt extremely light. Immediately I could start to feel my legs again. I set my left arm on my stomach, hoping to let it rest. I woke up the next morning after I had rested. As I raised myself with my one good arm, I saw Kathrin and the others were already up. Carinthia was already packing up and was ready for us to get going.