Epilogue

The nine of us stared down the figure, waiting for the slightest twitch in movement. He stared at us with the same anticipation, but I could tell his gaze was focused on me. I thought about going into combat against him, but with the crystal in his pocket, I didn't want to risk shattering it in the process. All that would give us was more than we could handle at this point. Ekram may have been a breeze to take care of, but that was only because we had thousands of others helping. There were only nine of us, and if something came through, we could bet our lives were in jeopardy. That and I was not risking Ayah getting involved again. I raised my scythe in one hand, pointing directly at the figure.

"Who are you?" I demanded. "And why did you steal the crystal?" The figure only continued to stare at us, or me specifically. Although I couldn't see his face, I could tell that he was determined in his goal. I took a step forward, ready to beat the answer out of him when Sarah stopped me.

"Caius, are you forgetting that he wants you out of any of us?" Sarah questioned. It pained me to stay back like this, but I knew she was right, and she knew she was right too. I did not however, take a step back. The figure took both hands out of his pocket and gave a shrug. This guy was really getting on my nerves about not talking. There wasn't much I could do though. He was out of range for me to try and hit him with my scythe, or to even hit him with a Flamethrower, but even then, how fragile is that crystal he has? I could feel the tension rising in the air. That crystal is our only way to get my parents back, and I am determined to get it back through any means possible. I felt something shift in my hood. As I shifted back, I realized that Ayah had been out, probably for the entire trip back to our time, or that's all I could hope we were at. This would explain why she hadn't done anything to help. With my answer to getting my parents back so close, I felt like this had to succeed, no if's or buts. Once we obtained this crystal from him, all we would have to do is as I was instructed, then finally re-unite the family.

"Caius, stay back, we've got an idea." Lilith said.

"We?" I questioned.

"Don't worry, he's already in position." I looked back at the figure, then saw something start to shimmer behind him. It was Calin! He had snuck around and was going in for the capture! He swung his wings down to grab him and prevent him from escaping. What I saw next surprised me. The figure jumped up, dodging the hold, then kicked Calin directly under the chin, causing his head to fly upwards. He then grabbed Calin's wings and threw him towards us, flipping his body to angle it directly at us! Calin slid onto the ground and stopped only a couple of inches from me. I was about to lunge at him for hitting Calin like that, but then I felt Raiden grab my shoulder. I looked back at him intently. His eyes stared directly at mine. He knew what I was about to do, and his face told me to stay put. I growled loudly, growing more and more irritated by the second. What were we to do? He was untouchable by this point! He somehow knew Calin was behind him, and if we try and attack him we risk destroying the crystal! If only I knew Psychic right now, that would make things so much easier right now. The figure was about a hundred yards from us. Then he started to take steps closer to us. I tensed up, ripping my shoulder free from Raiden's grasp. He set it in motion. Something was going to happen, either when I lost my patience, or when he came too close. Sarah, Kathrin, Lilith, Carinthia, and Thalia stood in front of me, blocking his path towards me. The figure only hesitated for a second, then continued walking closer. I saw him slip something out from behind him. Why did I feel like he was going to pull out two weird key-like swords? To my astonishment, the figure pulled out a scythe. Pure white in layout, long, and very, very sharp. So, this was the confrontation? Thief against generals? I was more than willing to show this figure his place. Raiden pulled himself in front of me, bringing his sword to his side.

"I can take him." Raiden said.

"No, not alone you're not." Thalia said.

"And you're not alone in that either." I said.

"No, you're staying back." Raiden said. "He's after you, if he gets to you, there's no telling what he'll do, and I'd frankly not like to find out." Calin started to pick himself up, then stood beside Thalia, staring at the figure with his red eyes.

"So you're just going to leave me here alone?" I questioned.

"You've got me Dad." Ayah said. I looked back, a little discomforted by the comment.

"I'll stay with him." Carinthia said. "But if he so much as comes close to Caius, I'll make sure all his limbs are broken." I was growing frustrated, but I knew this was for the better.

"Alright." I said. "But no matter what," I turned my gaze back on the figure. "No matter what happens, we do this together."

To be continued... 

-----------------------------------

Well, after a long while, Book 1 is finally finished.

Note: This is only a Rough Draft, so expect a lot of changes for when I make a Final Draft.

I'm glad that you all read through this to the end. Don't worry, I'll start Book 2 shortly, just when I can get a good lead on it. Please do point out some places that are confusing, have some errors, or stuff you think I could improve on. This story isn't perfect, but we strive to do so.

Hope you all enjoyed the series so far. If you like it, why not vote on it? It would help share the publicity. Also, feel free to comment. I'd love to hear from you all about this. If you enjoyed it, why not share it as well? I hope you all have a wonderful day, and I'll see you in Part 2 of Quest for Life.