four

After her conversation with her parents, Ryan had to go to the grocery store with Michael. She tried to get out as quickly as possible but Michael insisted on taking his time. Michael kept asking Ryan what her conversation with their parents was about and why she was so upset, but Ryan just ignored his questions. After two and a half hours of grocery shopping, Michael demanded that they stopped for food, which took another half hour. When they finally got home, it was six o'clock and her parents were eating dinner. Michael sat down and started to eat but Ryan refused because she was so upset with her parents.

Ryan stomped up to her room and laid on her bed, looking up at her ceiling. She was mad at her parents for threatening her, and sad that she may have to marry someone she isn't in love with. She was a hopeless romantic and this was not the way she wanted to find a guy, let alone marry and start a family with him.

A single tear ran down her cheek and more followed its path. She didn't try to hold back the tears and didn't mind that her makeup was getting smudged. A faint knock at the door caused her to jolt up and wipe her face.

"Ry, are you ok?" Calum whispered, opening the door a crack so he could take a look at his best friend. Ryan shook her head and bent her head, covering her face with her hands. Calum looked sadly to Ryan and walked over to her, closing the door behind him. He sat down on her bed and pulled her close to him, causing her to cave into his side. This caused Ryan to cry harder and Calum just ran his fingers through her hair.

"They want me to marry some stranger." Ryan said, finally being able to string some words together between her sobs.

"I know, baby. I know." Calum hummed, continuing to rub her back and run his fingers through her hair. Ryan shifted and pulled Calum down so that they were cuddling on her bed. Calum wrapped his big arms around her body and hugged Ryan closer, while she silently cried into his chest. Calum kissed the top of her head and the two fell asleep in that position.

Ryan woke up to the sound of her mother banging on her door. Karen barged into her room and cleared her throat, signalling for Ryan to open her eyes. Ryan fluttered her eyes open and tried to sit up but felt a familiar strong grip on her waist.

"Cal, wake up." Ryan nudged the boy beside her and he rolled over, opening his eyes slightly. When he noticed Karen in the room, he shot up and sheepishly looked at the middle-aged woman.

"Ryan, the Hemmings' are coming over in an hour so put on some nice clothes and a little bit of makeup. I want you to look your best." Karen said, ignoring Calum laying beside her daughter. She turned to exit the room but turned around to say one more thing. "Maybe we should consider getting a second bed in here." Calum looked down with embarrassment, as Karen left the room.

"I think I'll go to Ashton's house for a little while..." Calum said, climbing out of the bed.

"Please don't. I can't get through this brunch without you." Ryan quietly pleaded. She looked at Calum with sadness and he gave in, walking back over to the bed.

"Okay, I'll stay."

☆