thirty-two

Ryan's POV

It's been four hours since Luke left with the police. He just told me he had to go but told everyone they should stay until he came back. He wouldn't say what it was about and didn't even kiss me when he left. I knew something was wrong.

Everyone stayed the first hour he was gone, and they offered to wait until he got back, but I told them all to leave because I wanted to be alone. Cal insisted on staying, but after another hour, I begged him to go. I needed to be alone with my thoughts.

I decided to take a bath in our freestanding tub so that I could relax and think. I ran the water and put in some bath salts. I then tied my hair up into a messy bun, stripped down, and climbed in.

What if something happened to his parents? Or his brothers? What if it's something else, something more serious? What if he calls off the wedding? What if it's so serious, he doesn't want to marry me anymore? So many what ifs, I just wish he were here to answer them.

I closed my eyes and let the hot water wash over my skin. I sunk further and further until my chin hit the water. I titled my head back and just breathed.

Suddenly, I heard the front door open and close loudly downstairs. My eyes shot open and I immediately thought of Luke again. I scrambled to get out of the tub and go to him, but he was faster than I was.

"There you are," he said. He sounded exhausted, hopeless. "Mind if I join?" He asked, already pulling his shirt over his head.

"Yeah, baby..." I mumbled, unable to read what he was thinking. He pulled off his pants and boxers, and climbed into the tub so he was facing me. He reached for me and turned me around, so that my back was lying on his chest. I could hear his heart beat. Uneven, weak. He wrapped his arms around me and his fingers were lightly stroking my body.

We sat in silence for a few minutes. I didn't know if he wanted to talk or not. Even if he did, what was I supposed to say?

He kissed the side of my head, so I turned my neck to kiss his lips. When I did, I realized he was crying. I turned my whole body towards him and wrapped my legs around his hips.

"Luke, please talk to me." I wiped my thumb on his cheeks to dry his tears, but he shut his eyes and more fell. I kissed his lips very lightly, our foreheads resting against each other's.

"I... I don't know what to do." He opened his eyes and they were bloodshot. I could see the desperation in his eyes and it made my heart ache.

"About what?" I persisted, wanting to get to the bottom of why he was crying.

"They found her. They found Sam."