seventeen

Ryan's POV

Mr. Kelly told us that it was looking like it should only be a few hours, so we waited around the courthouse. All I wanted to do was go home and lie in bed, but I had to stay here and wait.

Waiting was definitely the worst part. Waiting to see if my rapist was going to get off scot free or if he was going to go to prison.

After about two hours, we got called back into the court room because the jury had made a decision. My family and friends started to pile in, but Calum pulled me to the side before I could follow them.

"Ry, before we go in, I just wanted to tell you that no matter what happens, I will always stand by your side. I'm sorry I couldn't help you when it happened, but I'm here now and I'm not leaving. I love you, Ryan." He said, pulling me into a hug.

"I love you too, Cal." I whispered, squeezing him as hard as I could. We pulled apart after a few seconds, and walked into the court room to hear the verdict.

"Jury, please state your final verdict to the court room." The judge announced. I nervously gripped onto Calum and Luke's hands, who were sitting beside me. Michael leaned over and put his hand on my knee, Amelia and Ashton both put their hands on my shoulders, and my parents sat behind me with their hands on my shoulders, as well.

"The jury finds Noah Walker guilty of sexual assault." An older man said, relief washing over me. My family and friends all let out relieved breaths. Tears, that I didn't know I was holding in, fell from my eyes and I felt Luke wipe them up.

"Mr. Walker is sentenced to three years in a maximum-level prison, effective immediately." The judge said, the bailiff immediately taking Noah and leading him out the back room.

I felt Luke's arms grab me and pull me up into a hug. I gripped him as hard as I could, holding on for dear life. Eventually, I felt Calum, Michael, Ashton, Amelia, and my parents all hug me too, forming a human circle around me.

After the verdict was read, we decided to pick up some take-away and head back home. When we got inside, my parents and Michael shared one of the couches, Luke, Calum and I shared the other and Ashton and Amelia sat on the ground. We all ate our Chinese food in silence, letting the day's events sink in.

"How about we watch a movie?" My mum suggested, reaching for the remote. Everybody nodded in agreement, deciding on 'Oceans 8'. I stood up and started collecting all the empty boxes, receiving a thank you from everyone in the process. Luke quickly stood up and started helping me, causing me to give him a grateful smile.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my mum nudge my dad and nodding her head towards Luke and I. I think she was extremely happy that Luke and I were getting along, and hoping we would end up getting married like they wanted.

In all honesty, Luke is very handsome. The way his blonde hair rests perfectly atop is head, how his piercing blue eyes sparkle when he talks, and how his teeth unconsciously pull at his glistening lip ring. He's so kind, sweet, gentle, honest, trust-worthy, humble and joyful. He's perfect; he's everything I could ask for and more.

But I can't fall in love with him. We're only getting married because of our parents. Once he finds someone he loves, we will get a divorce. I'm not going to tie him down, hold him back, because I don't deserve Luke. He deserves so much better than me.

"Ryan?" Luke asked, snapping me from my thoughts. "You zoned out there for a minute, you okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking." I waved him off, putting the boxes in the bin.

"What were you think about? You seemed pretty upset." He asked, pushing the subject.

"You wouldn't want to know." I mumbled, unsure if he heard me or not.

"I do." He tried making eye contact with me, but I avoided his stare.

"I'm just second-guessing this whole arranged marriage thing." I sighed, keeping my voice low. Luke looked at me with concern, keeping quiet to let me continue. "I don't want to hold you back from marrying someone you actually love. I feel like if we get married, I'm going to make you unhappy because you're tied down." I paused, unsure if I should continue. "I don't want you to slip into a depressive state again." I whispered, regretting it immediately and hoping he didn't hear that last part.

"Ryan." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Yes, I'm marrying you because of our parents, but I wouldn't be tied down. You wouldn't be holding me back because we will be living just like we are now, just legally married. We will still be able to date other people and if we do find other people, we will just get divorced." When Luke said that, I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I don't know why but for some reason when he mentioned getting a divorce, it felt like a stab to the heart.

"As for my depression, it's not something either of us can control. It comes and goes as it pleases. Don't worry about me, all that matter is that you're comfortable. Okay?" I nodded my head in response and he pulled me into a hug. I breathed in his scent, smelling like a mixture of light cologne and mint.

"Want to hang out tomorrow? It's Saturday so we could maybe get lunch and catch a movie, or something." I asked, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'll pick you up at noon." He replied, smiling my way.

"Okay." I replied, giving him a small smile.