thirty-three

Ryan's POV

When I heard those words, 'they found Sam,' my heart sunk. "Luke..." I didn't know what I was supposed to say. What do you say to your fiancé when their ex-girlfriend, who they though got kidnapped and is dead, is found alive?

"I'm sorry." He said, covering his face with his hands.

Immediately, when he said those words, I knew. He was gonna call off the wedding. That's it, they found Sam, his first true love. The person who he thought was his soulmate, who he thought he was gonna marry. He's gonna break up with me and be with her.

I pulled away from him and moved to the other side of the tub. I pulled my knees into my chest and looked away from him. "Please don't make it harder than it has to be," I said to him. I tried not to cry, but the tears fell anyways.

"What?" He looked at me with his pained eyes. He reached for me, but I pulled away.

"Please don't make it harder than it has to be. I understand, I do." I pulled the ring off my finger and held it out to him. He looked at it with confusion and I knew he wasn't gonna make this easy.

"I'm not breaking up with you." He took the ring and put it back on my finger. Then, he looked me in the eyes. "I want to be with you. I want to marry you. I want to live here and have babies with you."

"Then, why did you say sorry? Why does this feel like a breakup?" I asked him, confused.

"I said sorry because I'm sorry for putting you through what I did the past four hours. I was gone, off with the cops, for hours and I didn't call or text or update you at all." He pulled for me again and this time I let him. He wrapped his arms around me and my face was pushed up against his chest. He pulled away slightly and tilted my chin up so that we could make eye contact. "You're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you more than anything in this world and Samantha being found alive doesn't change that."

I sighed a breath of relief, but felt the slight guilt creep up my spine. "I'm horrible. I'm sorry, you must be going through hell right now and I just made it all about me," I apologized. I brushed the hair out of his eyes and cupped his cheeks. Our lips connected and we shared a passionate, slow kiss.

"I'm just so exhausted. When she saw me, her entire face broke into tears. She jumped into my arms and told me seeing me again was what helped her to keep fighting to stay alive. And then, I had to look her in the eyes and tell her I don't love her anymore, that I'm in love with someone else. I felt horrible for her." I just listened to him, stroking his chest with my fingers, and letting him get everything out.

"I am so sorry that you had to go through that. How did she react?" I asked, feeling horrible for her. She must have felt blindsided, hopeless, defeated.

"She said she understood and that she didn't expect me to wait for her. She wished us the best and said she wouldn't contact me anymore because it would be easier for both of us to move on." He then pulled my body even closer to his and connected our lips. He deepened the kiss and started moving his hands lower down my body.

I pulled my lips away from his and I saw it in his eyes. We both needed each other in that moment. I stood up and he followed my lead. We dried ourselves off and walked over to our king-sized bed where we would have the most passionate, intimate sex we've ever had.