VII

The Next Morning
Helencia Castle, Lysithea

    Lord Aspen, Cyan and Damian sat at the grand table, enjoying a breakfast of fresh pastries, fruit, tea and Sanguis. Sunlight streamed in through the glass windows, illuminating the dining hall in a kaleidoscope of colours. Aspen smiled as he bit into a chocolate croissant, the rich chocolate filling his mouth. He glanced curiously at Cyan and Damian, confused that the King had not risen yet. It was almost a quarter past eight. They had waited over an hour for his majesty.

    King Cerberus generally woke early, and was always present for breakfast at 6:30 am. Glancing at his pocket watch, Damian felt a prick of worry. King Cerberus was always punctual. Abruptly the door of the dining hall swung open violently. Delphina rushed into the room, looking a great deal more frightened than usual. Aspen, Cyan and Damian looked up in surprise. Usually the woman wasn't so abrupt when gathering their attention. "My lords, I apologize for interrupting, but we need your help. His majesty is missing," Delphina announced, lowering her head. "The royal army requests your counsel."

    The three promptly made their way towards the council room. Cyan & Damian entered swiftly as Aspen lagged behind, utterly speechless. King Cerberus was like a father to him, having mentored him and his lovers since he was small. And now he was missing? Aspen realized he was the only one left outside, lost in his thoughts. He sighed, pushing open the door to the council room. The seat at the head of the table was vacant. King Cerberus's seat. As soon as Aspen entered, he noted the tension in the room. Guards lined the walls, and quiet murmurs were audible. The head of the Royal Guard, Lord Osmond Einari was pacing, as his son Asmodeus stood next to him, looking equally concerned. That was not a good sign.

    Lord Einari stopped as soon as he spotted the Grand Advisor. "Lord Basille, the royal guard has searched the entire castle and surrounding grounds. There is no sign of the King anywhere," Osmond said seriously. "We'd like to go ahead and expand the search," he stated, staring at Aspen expectantly.

    Lord Aspen Basille froze, perplexed for a minute. Finally, he clued in. He was the grand advisor. If something was to happen to the King, he would make decisions in his place. Of course, the duty would usually fall to the King's heir, but in the absence of the heir - he was the country's primary decision maker.

    Aspen inhaled deeply, before shifting his posture. Now was not the time to have self doubt. Now was the time to take action. "Lord Einari. If the King is not found by noon, I'd like word sent to all the military strongholds in Lysithea. Until then, we shall hasten and increase our search. I want half the guards to further search the palace for any indication as to where the King could have gone, and the remainder to expand our search for the King. We will not rest until we find his majesty."

    Lord Osmond Einari nodded, instantly barking orders. A hand touched Aspen's shoulder as Damian smiled grimly. "I'll stay here and help the guards search, Aspen." Lord Basille nodded, "that would be ideal, mon ami, he answered. Damian pulled him into a hug upon noticing the expression on his face. "Don't fret, Aspen. We'll find him, but until then, you are more than capable. We trust you, and I know his majesty trusts you too."

    Cyan nodded in agreement as Aspen patted his partner's shoulders in thanks, before setting off to the armoury. Cyan followed closely behind, perplexed and worried at the entire situation. This wasn't something that happened. Hell, this had NEVER happened in all the time he had worked at the palace. King Cerberus wasn't one to disappear and never return. It was beyond worrying.

    Reaching the armoury, Cyan noted the panicked buzz in the air. Lord Einari was barking out orders as his young son stood aside him, fiddling with his sword. Truthfully, Cyan expected Asmodeus to become the heir. He seemed like the most probable option with close ties to the Lysithean monarchy. Cyan watched the boy's determined face as the group headed to the stables. Young Lord Asmodeus was much smarter than his twenty years, and was clearly ambitious. It was hard to forget him at eighteen, barging into a meeting with a petrified human girl.