Chapter Twenty Nine

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

A few hours later
Adrienne

"Ughh" I groaned, rolling over and feeling satin slide against my skin.
Wait!? Satin!?

My eyes shot open. Where was I?

The memories began to fill my head, my father, Abigor and of course, my angel. Thoughts and questions began pilling into my mind.

I looked around and a beautiful room greeted me. Gold gilding crept up the walls and paintings blended in seamlessly. It was the most beautiful room I've already seen. A beautiful organ stood in a corner alongside a music stand, papers scattered around. A large dining area was on one side of the room whilst a hearth surrounded by divans and a mirror on the other.

Poking my head out from under the bed's canopy, I gazed at the ceiling. White fluffy clouds were painted on the ceiling, with a painting of two young boys holding hands. One of the faces was scarred and the other not; one overly thin and the other healthy. I wondered why the depiction was painted on the ceiling, yet I shook the thought away. This room looked fit for a king, or like something that belonged in a palace.

Stepping from the bed, I noticed I was not donning my fiery red day dress. Instead, I was wearing a soft blush dressing gown. I walked to one of the large windows. Drawing back the curtains, I peered out. Outside the gates of this beautiful palace was a forest, unending as far as the eye could see.

I had to focus on finding out where I was? I heard the quiet murmur of voices as I walked quietly to the door.

A seemingly familiar voice spoke harshly.

"All of Asteaia will pay dearly for what they have done, I will make sure of it". "I had warned them of the curse, yet their foolish ways haven't changed".

What curse? What did the townsfolk do? What was to become of my childhood home?
"Erebus" I heard an older and softer voice protest. What was going on?

"And for that, they will pay with their lives".

A foul feeling rose inside me. I rushed past the hearth only to spot my reflection in the mirror. Leaning closer, two puncture wounds were visible on the surface of my lips.
My mind instantly flitted back to my angel's kiss as horror filled me.

I darted away from the mirror, only to catch my foot on the edge of the divan and fall.

CRASH!

The door swung open and there he was. My angel. I quickly, scrambled to my feet, backing away from him.

"Adrienne" he spoke, his deep voice sounding through the walls of the room. "Where am I" I asked, my voice wavering.

"You are in my home" he answered gently. My mind whirled. "W-who really are you? You live in this- palace?" I asked curiously.

"Yes mon Lumiere, I do live here. My name is Erebus".

Erebus; the deity of darkness, I remember the name from one of the books at the library. I stood.
"What have you done to me! You're not an angel at all" I said accusingly.

He didn't answer yet didn't meet my scrutinizing gaze.

I was so naïve! I had fallen for this man's lies so easily. I believed he was some savior; sent from God in my time of need. The "angel" who comforted me, sang to me and calmed my fears. This angel whom I loved; an imposter.