Chapter Thirty Eight

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

An hour later

Adrienne

Seeing a dim light, I continued forward, hoping it was Asteaia. I urged the horse to continue forwards. Bringing Thanatos into a gallop, the horse jumped over the small fence into the dark streets.

Something was off. It was ghostly silent in the town. Not a soul was about nor a sound in the air. Holding my lantern up, I examined my surroundings. Even at this time of night, a certain type of folk was still wandering about. Eyeing the dim light of the tavern, I brought Thanatos into a canter. Stopping and dismounting, I quietly slipped into the tavern, making sure the hood from my cape covered my face.

Strangely enough, all the people in the tavern were women, with the exception of old Jacques. Approaching the nearest woman, I gathered my courage. "Pardon me, Madame, do you know where I could find a man around here?" I asked. Her ostentatious laugh startled me. "They're all off to hunt some monster." she drunkenly slurred. Panic instantly rose inside me. "They think they're going to catch some vampiric monster. It's outrageous" she sibilated.

My heart stopped.

No, no, no! This was all my fault! Because of me, the entire vampiric kingdom was at risk. All the men in Asteaia were out hunting my angel. I had to warn him. I couldn't let them hurt him.

"Thank you, madame" I politely thanked the lady, before turning and leaving, trying to keep a low profile despite the horror growing in my veins. Quickly scurrying out of the tavern, I rushed to Erebus's horse Thanatos. Mounting the sleek black house, I quickly tugged the reigns urging the horse into a gallop.

"I'm coming for you Erebus, I'll always return to you".

~

EREBUS

The food tasted like ash in my mouth, even my Sanguis tasted terrible. I sat in my usual seat at the end of the table, silent. My family chatted amongst me as I noticed Asmodeus's chair was empty.

"I know you miss her" Draven whispered sympathetically, a tone I had never heard him use. I nodded. The rest of the table turned at that, focusing their attention on me. "I miss her too" Velorina replied soberly. My advisors looked at me, pity in their eyes. I couldn't help but feel ashamed- Hell, I was a king yet being so weak and pathetic because ma Lumiere left.

Abruptly, the door to the dinette was banged open. Asmodeus stood, two guards, flanking him. "Erebus" he quavered. "There are humans in the woods. We scented them, faint but presently there. Not just one either, but a horde of them. I fear the castle may be under attack."

I had done this. This was all my fault. Because of my selfish desires, I had put my entire kingdom at risk. As their king, I was supposed to protect my family, cherish them. Instead, I had just put them in grave danger. There was no doubt that the threat was that damned fiance of Adrienne and the rest of Asteaia. But they weren't looking for my family, they were looking for me. As far as I know, they had no idea that multiple vampiric people live in this forest. My family looked shocked at the news, while the darkness stirring inside me grew deeper, heavier.

I stood from my chair, every part the authoritative leader. "Send my royal guards to protect Lamia- ensure none of the humans even near the town. Lamia should be on heavy alert, every vampire in their homes, no-one wandering the streets. As for the castle, barricade all windows and entrances. Everyone MUST remain inside. I will deal with this threat alone, and lure them away from the castle."